From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Stopwatch/Timer for front panel (resetable)

Solved!
Go to solution
Thank you for the sample code this is exactly what I wanted. I had thought there had to be a way to use the Get date/Time in seconds but, I was under the impression that it was not to msec. Thanks again
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(10,428 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tmunsell
I agree!  This is an excellent app and we use it daily.  Thanks again, Devin!
Message Edited by tmunsell on 04-25-2009 08:25 AM
Todd Munsell
Test Cell Manager
Wood Group Pratt & Whitney Industrial Turbine Services, LLC
Plattsburgh, NY
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(10,405 Views)

Wow, old thread! 

You're welcome.  I'm glad you still find it useful!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(10,388 Views)
Hi, I have got a similar problem, I need to start the stopwatch/timer upon pressing the start button, the timer will keep running and count the duration until the VI is stop.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(10,207 Views)

Hi,

The answer to this is given in the first page of the thread. Please let me know if I am missing out on some aspect of the problem. Thanks!

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(10,189 Views)

Hi,

I've been searching for a stopwatch that has the resetable function.  This way, the watch can be started and stopped several times, but only resets to zero when a reset button is pressed.  I'm thinking that this requires some storing of the elapsed time variables, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(9,709 Views)

The stop watch VI in this forum provides you with the reset function.  Every time you press start it resets it back to zero.  The functionality that you will need to add is the ability to restart without resetting.  You can do this by adding the old value of your elapsed time indicator to the current value when you press restart.  You will just add an event in your event structure to cover this new case.

Nick Keel 

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments

Nick Keel
Product Manager - NI VeriStand and Model Interface Toolkit
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(9,687 Views)

Hi Devin,

Thanks so much for this vi. I was wondering if you could make it compatible for LabView 7? I am unable to open it on my machine because I only have LabView 7, not 8.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(8,451 Views)

Hello!

I'm very new with LabVIEW (just 1 day old). I wanted to make a clock and I've managed to do it. Now, I want to make that clock programmable: to read the system time and start to work by itself from there, or to be adjusted manually and start to work from that point.

My clock is, in fact, a timer right now.

Any help, please?

This is my clock (attached below):

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(7,206 Views)

Hello!

Here is a different forum that has a VI that will read and report the system time. We actually have a VI that will output the time for you:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Counter-Timer/Digital-clock-in-LabView/td-p/670900

Here is an example VI that does exactly what you want to do. They have made their code more modular by adding a subVI to convert from a numeric into a digital format (in converter.vi), and they have also used custom controls to create a clock that looks the way that they want it to and can display their digital numbers. It might be helpful to take a look and see how you can apply these concepts to your application:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-23032

Since you're pretty new to LabVIEW, this page might be a good resource for learning some of the basics of the new programming environment:

http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/labviewbasics/

Also, you can create a new forum post in the future rather than posting on a forum that is a few years old. This might help your post get more responses.

Thanks and happy programming!

Stephanie S.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(7,191 Views)