Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set sbRIO analog IO to raw uncalibrated

Solved!
Go to solution

For cRIO modules you can select between raw and calibrated IO by right clicking on the module. I have an sbRIO 9627 but I don't see any modules that can be configured. Can I get the data as raw?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,540 Views)

Are you using an expansion chassis with some extra c-series modules? Which specific channel are you using and what kind of data is being displayed from that channel?

Regards!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,510 Views)

sbRIOs don't have expansion chassis and I'm not using modules. I'm using the MIO port. AI0-15 AO0-3. The IO node on the FPGA appears as a fixed point integer from -10 to +10 volts. I want it to appear as the raw ADC counts. Maybe as an I16 from -32768—32765

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,505 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nanocyte

There is no way to get raw data directly from the IO node on a sbRIO, you would have to programmatically convert it to binary. 

FYI: the sbRIOs have an Ethernet port from which they could be using an Ethernet or EtherCAT expansion chassis with c-series modules

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,492 Views)

Hey nanocyte,

What is the motivation to have raw data? Perhaps there is a different option to acheive whatever your end goal is.

The thread you linked in the original post is a 9263. The option to get that data as raw vs calibrated probably had to be separately implemented on the driver / IO Node side. This options existence varies by module.

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,485 Views)

Thank you for following up. My primary goal was to reduce FPGA resource usage. I don't need calibrated data and it might be more intutive to program with raw. Imagine something as simple as AO1=A01+1 to generate a ramp.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,478 Views)

Ah, a good goal. Reducing the use of fixed point numbers is definitely an optimization. It looks like using raw data might not be a possible way to optimize this program. If you haven't already found it, the High Performance Dev Guide might be something for you. It's free, and a great resource. Other quick ways you can optimize are by reducing front panel objects, reducing the frequency you update those objects, and avoiding arrays on the front panel.

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,468 Views)

I made an idea on the exchange supporting the addition of this functionality

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-FPGA-Idea-Exchange/Allow-raw-access-to-sbRIO-Analog-IO/idi-p/354923...

Message 8 of 8
(3,453 Views)