Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending new cRIO build to customer after update. Easiest way for a customer who is not too computer savvy.

Hello, I have a customer about a 4 hour drive from me, and we are at the stage now where I only need to send small tweaks here and there.

He can definitely FTP into the target, and I would feel comfortable having him replace the entire ni-rt\startup directory, but are there any other files that he would have to modify?  I could keep the main rt-exe file name the same, but might refer to a different lvbitx file within the application.

Alternatively, he has the RAD tool (I left it with him), but I don't know how to build an image from my development machine here that would work with his cRIO.  It doesn't seem to be an option to build an image from the project.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,008 Views)

RAD is definitely the best bet to prevent possible errors transferring files manually.  You will have to retrieve the image from a cRIO that you can interface with.  Do you have access to the same model cRIO as the customer?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,985 Views)

No, I only have one and it is now on customer site.  I'd love to be able to just get them a new build with some minor changes.

The cRIO is already setup to launch the program on start, so if he just replaces the ni-rt directory with FTP  and reboots, the new (built RT-exe) program should launch, is that right?

Thanks,

Wes

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,955 Views)

That is correct.  As long as no changes were made to the ini config file.  There are only two ini tokens that are required when not using LabVIEW to deploy an exe:

RTTarget.ApplicationPath=c:\ni-rt\startup\startup.rtexe
RTTarget.LaunchAppAtBoot=True

The path to the exe could obviously be changed to another file/location.  This info was found here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B37FA04A1CB84B6C862571A30060EF03

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,928 Views)