Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIO Eval Kit Error on Step 23 of Ex 3 -

Hi, I am working on the evaluation kit exercises but I am stuck with an error wiring the FPGA reference to RT Sound.vi in Step 23.  I am getting a broken wire with message that terminals of different type are being connected, in particular "direction":register is not available.  It looks like Steps 1-22 are OK so I could use a hint!

thnx

Jesse

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,130 Views)

There are several versions of the exercises, the only one with a step 23 is the newest one here.

Can you attach the Vi containing the error? Have you compared with the solution?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,115 Views)

Thanks, I am using the newest versions, just purchased the kit last week.  I don't see date or version info in the tutorial.   I am attaching the RT Main.vi with the bad wire that I'm trying to understand.

In the solution I see on the FPGA reference wire there is no register called direction.  In the exercise vi that I attached the RT Sound.vi seems to be expecting a register called direction and giving a broken wire as a result.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
(4,103 Views)

I'm seeing this same error. Where does the register "direction (T/F)" come from?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,385 Views)

I quickly opened instructions and looked at the step 23. Looks like this step ask you to wire FPGA reference wire into RT sound.vi.

Here is what I’m thinking, does the RT sound.vi include any read/write control which takes this Reference wire and reads FPGA control called “Direction” ?

Or

Go to back to Open FPGA Reference and make sure you are referencing a correct FPGA.vi ether by pointing to it or by pointing to a bitfile compiled for that FPGA vi.

Generally, read/write controls display all FPGA VI controls and indicators of the FPGA VI you are referencing to via reference wire.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,376 Views)

I replaced the RT Sound.vi with the one from the solution set and it just worked with no requirement for "direction" (boolean T/F). I've attached the updated VI here. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,373 Views)

All,

The reason that you are getting the error is because the FPGA.vi doesn't have the same FPGA reference that the RT Sound.vi is expecting. There are two differences, the direction boolean and the FFT FIFO. In order to correct this you can do the following:

1) Create a control off of the FPGA VI reference.

2) Open up the RT Sound.vi and replace the FPGA VI reference with the control that you just created. This will make sure that the RT Sound.vi is expecting the same reference as the FGPA.vi. 

Note: You will have to replace both the reference in and out of the RT Sound.vi

3) Make sure to rewire the connector pane to show the FPGA reference in and out

4) Save the RT Sound.vi

5) Now wire the FPGA VI reference to the RT Sound.vi

It should resolve the mismatch wire conflict.

Sarina
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 7 of 7
(3,364 Views)