Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem detecting the new SOM (sbRIO-9651)

Just received the new System on Module developer kit, but have trouble detecting it in NI-MAX. (Not the best out of the box user experience NI...most of the documents referred to are nowhere to be found online either).

Windows 8.1 with LabVIEW 14.0f1. I've got NI-RIO 14.01 and CompactRIO 14.0.1 installed. I did find a CompactRIO 14.1 file here on ni.com that is supposed to have some additional support for the SOM, but it does not want to install anything (nor does it seem to be a requirement based on the read me...).

The device is connected to a network with a DHCP server (Fieldpoint devices get an IP and show up correctly) on ethernet port 0...I've also gotten it to show up on the devices list when connected through USB, but with no functionality reachable from there.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,675 Views)

I've messed around a bit and finally made some progress...

First I was able to contact the device using the NI Network Browser. This gave me the IP of the device. I can still not detect it from NI MAX (although other PACs give no such problem), but having the IP I chose to "Create New" and then chose "Remote Device (not on local subnet)" - even though it *is* on the local subnet...This made NI MAX find it. I then attempted to install software on it, but got warned that it had an old firmware. After upgrading the firmware to 2.2.0f1 I still do not detect it in NI Max, but now I can at least add it as a remote target again, and install the CompactRIO 14.1.1 software on it.

Having done that, it is *still* not detectable from NI MAX or LabVIEW (if I go to add target, again, other PACs can be detected just fine, there is no firewall involved or subnet difference. I've also removed all stale entries in the remote devices list in MAX as that is something I've seen cause trouble before).  I can live with this for nowm but it is a bit annoying to not be able to detect it especially when adding it as a target from LabVIEW...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,664 Views)

Some additional work done on the device, and another restart...and it now turns up in NI Max...I'm not sure what made the difference. I did install RAD 14.0 in between this, so that might have fixed something.

Anyway, the only gripe I have left now is the missing user manuals. Perhaps I'll need to put that in a separate post though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,627 Views)

Hi Mads,

I'm just getting back in the office today, but sorry to hear about your connectivity issues on Friday.  The documentation you are looking for should also be available online.  On the Resources tab of the sbRIO-9651 model page is a link to manuals.  Is there a specific document you cannot locate? When I click on Manuals, I get this page with the specifications, carrier design guide, and other manuals.

Screen Shot 2015-01-05 at 11.43.29 AM.png

I also saw your post on the performance improvement with your algorithm after moving to the sbRIO-9651.  Glad to hear the gains were better than expected.  

Hope this helps,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,622 Views)

Thanks Spex. The document list looks to be more complete now than it did last week, but I could have just overlooked some of them too.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,610 Views)

Mads,

There is a discussion forum for the SOM and not alot of posts there right now. It would be great for you to post there. I'm feeling lonely developing on the SOM, I'm interested in your performance testing.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/hardware-developers-community-for-ni-single-board-rio-and-syst...

Regards

Jack Hamilton

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,283 Views)