From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network settings tab is blank

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have connected a Compact Rio 9068 directly to my computer (HP EliteBook 840 G1, Windows 7), and the system appears in the tree under Remote systems in MAX. However, the problem is that I can only see information under the System Settings tab, while the Network Settings tab is entirely empty (blank white page). I have tried to refresh and re-boot, log in as admin, but it doesn't help. I assume that I have to change some network settings on my computer but I do not know which and still think it is strange that nothing at all appears under this tab.The windows firewall is set to accept NI MAX for both office/home and open networks. Can anybody help? Below you see how it looks in MAX for the two tabs.

Regards,

Gloria

System settings tab

Network settings tab

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(9,513 Views)

Hi Gloria,

Here are some things to test.

- Network Settings:

On the Systems Settings Tab we can see that the cRIO has a Link-Local IP address (in the 169.254.X.X address range). This is probably because the cRIO configured to get an address from a DHCP-server, but no server is present, which leads to the c-rio getting a Link-Local address.

The computer need to be on the same subnet work as the cRIO to work properly when unconfigured.

To verify the network settings go to Windows Start menu and in the search box enter "View Network Connections" and press return.

Now you should see a Window with your Network Adapters, choose your wired adapter and right-click and choose properties.

In the new window under "This Connection Uses the following Items:" Find "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click Properties. In this Dialog make sure the option "Obtain an IP address automatically" is choosen.

If not, choose it and click OK, otherwise just close the Windows.

Now both should be configured to use Link Local addresses (since there is no DHCP server involved). Does it populate the Netwok settings tab now?

- Firewall:

Verify firewall, try disabling the firewall no need for it when we are directly connected to the cRIO. If it works now but not when its enabled the problem is in the firewall.

- Software:

Which LabVIEW version is installed? Is the Realtime module installed? NI RIO version?

Regards,

Klas

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(9,495 Views)

Hi Klas,

and thank you for your thorough response. But the network settings are still not visible.

I have checked both local and wired network to obtain IP adress automatically for TCP/IPv4, these settings were already default automatic so I did not change this. I've also deactivated the windows firewall completely. I can not find any other firewalls, have McAfee protection installed without firewall. The IP adress range stays the same under System Settings.

When I look at my networks in the cmd window, the information in the figure below is shown, (unfortunately in swedish), but the upper network is the primary wireless connection and the lower is Ethernet to local network connection. Both say that DHCP is active, is this correct? My computer is standing alone with direct connection to cRIO port 1 and wireless access to a network (hib.no) at my work place is active, should I turn all wireless connections off? I have deactivated by pressing the wireless button on my keyboard, so that it says "not connected" to the wireless network in the cmd window, but it does not change anything in MAX.

ipconfig.png

The latest Labview version and Real-time module is installed from NI download webpages, Real time module is also shown when looking in the software tree in MAX (see figure below).

installed software.png

I have followed the steps given on the NI support pages without any problems until I get to the network settings:

http://www.ni.com/getting-started/install-software/compactrio.

Also, I power off the cRio and restart my computer, and refresh in MAX between all steps that I try.

Kind regards,

Gloria

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(9,491 Views)

Still not solved. Does anybody have an answer?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(9,326 Views)

Hello Gloria,

Looking from the images in earlier posts you have different version of LabVIEW on the cRIO and on your computer. Reinstall the software on the cRIO so both have LabVIEW 2014 and corresponding software components.

Right click on software under your cRIO and choose Add/remove software. Follow the wizard to reinstall.

http://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/compactrio/controller-software

Does that help?

Best regards,

Klas

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(9,319 Views)

A matching software stack is not required to set settings in MAX for a target. To program the target you must have matching versions of software. 

Check to make sure you don't have nay firewalls on. Windows, Norton, McAfee. Try disabling them temporarily or if the have a program access/deny list make sure MAX and LabVIEW are permitted.

Also try disabling any additional network cards on the host computer. It looks like you have 2 in the above screenshot. MAX does not play nicely sometimes with multiple network connections. It typically uses the windows default which you can set from the network adapters page in control panel of Windows but this doesn't always works or takes a while for the system to recognize. It typically will involve you having to restart MAX. 

Try those two steps and let us know how it goes. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(9,311 Views)

Now I've again disabled the Windows firewall, and allowed all programs connected to NI to be sure, MAX and NI I had already added in the list of allowed software. I've uninstalled McAffe. There is something called Microsoft security essentials, that was installed on the computer when I bought it, but I don't find any firewall only virus search settings in there. Then I tried to inactivate all network cards but the local network. But when I right click and chose deactivate, the icon color just greys out and says deactivated for a second and then automatically changes back to be colored again and it says only "disconnected", not "deactivated". How do i permanently deactivate? In the cmd window it now says "disconnected" on all networks but the local network. I'vre rebooted the computer, and network settings still don't show in MAX. I have not tried to install the same version software on the CRio yet.

Thank you for helping me out.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(9,295 Views)

Hi,

If all firewalls are disabled. And it doesn't work.

To set the order of your Network interfaces:

Go To the Control Panel >> Network and Sharing Center. Choose "Change adaper settings". Now you should have a window showing your Network Connections. In the menu (if not visable press ALT key) choose Advanced>>Advanced Settings..

In the Advanced Settings window under Connections: Choose your wired LAN (Ethernet). Use the arrows to put it in the top of the list. This will make sure your prefered network connection is your wired LAN connection.

If that doesn't help:

One thing you can check is to see how much CPU load you have on your cRIO. There might be some old code running as startup code and if its high load the network traffic might be down prioritized.

On the System Settings Tab set a check mark in the Disable RT Startup App.

Reboot the cRIO.

//Klas

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24
(9,291 Views)

Glorias,

There are 3 layers to the windows firewall that determine which rules apply to which connection. Home/Work, public, and domain are the three options. Make sure they are all disabled. The other option is to figure out what your connection to the cRIO is classified as. Usually windows users will see a prompt that says how do you want to classify this connection? Home, Work, or Public. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(9,285 Views)

Hi Klas,

thank you. This did still not help. I'm now trying to reinstall all NI products on my PC. I saw that the driver has a newer version 14.0.1 and the other software 14.0.0, do not know how this happened and if it matters, downloaded all files on one date from NI webpage.  Noticed this when I tried to install the same version 2014 software on the CRio using the wizard as you suggested, and then the driver did not show correctly (! warning icon in front of the driver) in the tree under Labview Real Time 14.0.0 (step 3 of the install wizard).

I will tell how it goes, thanks for todays help.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(9,284 Views)