Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9505 Full H-Bridge Brushed DC Servo Drive Module - Hardware Recommendations

Solved!
Go to solution

I know nothing about motor, motor control with PID, thus I would like to start to learn something (hand-on), so I purchased NI 9505 from eBay.  Now I would like to purchase remain hardware to start but I am not really sure what brand/model I should purchase. So please help me by providing some recomedation on 

(1) Motor (I do not need a lot of power, something 12VDC)

(2) Encoder

(3) Cable 

As it is just personal learning, I would like to have something cheap/reeasonable. I will very much appericate.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,848 Views)

The 9505 is a c-series I/O module - so that means you will need:

1. a controller chassis to plug it into, i.e. a CompactRIO.
  2. software to programme the cRIO and 9505 - i.e labview
  3. then you will need the hardware motor, encoder and cable (and power supply)

I am sure you can probably find something cheap for the things listed in the last point on ebay, just need to make sure it is compatible in terms of what the 9505 can drive (read the manual - http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374211f.pdf). The first two bullet points may be a bit more difficult to get something cheap.

Consultant Control Engineer
www-isc-ltd.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,812 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rle2

I acctually have the cRIO 9024 and LabVIEW. All I need is the motor, encoder, and cable (Number 3).  I would like to ask if someone can recommend some of the model/brand I should purchase - I am new and I do really want to purchase something that does not suite my need - which is just to learn new concept.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,804 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rle2

The manual gives the specs that the motor and encoder have to meet - here are a few points, but please read the manual yourself. I haven't used this particular IO module myself:

• motor - 8V-30VDC, 12A max (though that is only for 2secs max - for continuous rating 1A at 70degC or 5A at 40degC)
  • motor power supply - external supply needs to be connected IO modules to supply above power to motor (see Fig 4 of manual), and your power supply may reduce above spec for motor.
  • encoder - quadrature encoder, 3 input lines (Phase A, Phase B and Index/Phase Z), signals can be single ended or differential,  0-5V / TTL logic levels, 5V / 125mA power supply supplied by IO module

Consultant Control Engineer
www-isc-ltd.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,793 Views)

Thanks. I order Namiki Coreless Servo Gear Motor DC 12V 120RPM Gearmotor With Encoder for $10.50, hopefully, I can start to learn some motor control.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,755 Views)