From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9234 dynamic signal acquisition module Compatability

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello I am working on a student project that will provide acoustic localization using a microphone array. I have seen a project that provided similar capabilities using a c-RIO 9022 and two NI 9234 dynamic signal acquisition modules. I currently have a myRIO. My Question: Are any of the NI dynamic signal acquisition modules (NI 9230, 9232, 9234) compatible with a myRIO? I see they are designed for use with the cRIO series but haven't scene any info on compatibility with myRIO. If they are not compatible is there another hardware option that would be recommended for use with myRIO that provides a high sampling rate over multiple channels specifically for acoustic signals?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,038 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author USF_ENG

The C Series DSA modules are only compatible in either cDAQ or cRIO. You would be able to connect a module like the NI 9234 using a single slot cDAQ chassis (NI 9171) to a computer using USB. What configuration did you have in mind for the C Series modules and the myRIO? myRIO is typically different in terms of compatibility because it is a different form factor than C Series.

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

Message 2 of 5
(2,969 Views)

Thanks for the feedback Chris. My system needs to be portable so plugging into computer wouldn't work. I do not have experience with the DSA modules, but it is my understanding they provide a much higher sampling rate of acoustic signals. I currently have a myRIO so that is the hardware I am working with. Maintaining clock time is crucial to find phase difference in signals coming from microphone array so right now I believe my best option is I2C which maxes at out 400kbps. I was wondering if there is any hardware option for the myRIO that would allow me to increase sampling rate while maintaining clock.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,956 Views)

Hi USF_ENG,

The myRIO maxes out at 400 kbps as well, as that's the maximum rate for the I2C standard. You won't be able to get a faster rate than that without violating the standard. If you're interested in working with ADCs to acquire analog signals at high rates, you might consider SPI communication. SPI has a considerably higher clock rate and works similarly.

Austin
Staff Software Engineer
NI
Message 4 of 5
(2,944 Views)

Thanks, I will be using SPI. I found a couple nice ADCs that should accomplish what I need to do. I will do some more research on the NI forum and likely make another post to learn more about SPI with myRIO since it is all new to me. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,897 Views)