cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Compact RIO loose NTP synch

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

I have followed this method to sync with NTP (https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-39178) and it works most of the time , but sometimes I lost the NTP sync and crio are about 7s in front. ( I get the problem with a 9035 and a 9068).

When the synchronisation ist not working anymore, ntpq -p command respond "connection refused"

Does anyone have an idea about the problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,449 Views)

Hello kdevelle,

can you somehow reconstruct under what circumstances the synchronisation is lost?

As an alternative, you could try using NI-Time Sync:

TimeSync for SNTP: Getting Started

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-14480

Let me know if this works for you.

Best regards

Jacques Scheller
Staff Applications Engineer, NI Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer, Certified TestStand Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,419 Views)

Hello Jacques,

This is exactly what I would like to understand. I know that my system were sync correctly and at some point they were not and the ntp -q command was answering connection refused instead of the the list of server that I was sync with.

Now I had a loop in my code doing this command every 20mn to log the answer and have more info, I will come back as soon as I can give you mre detail

Thanks for the suggestion, but time sync with linux RT crio provide ptp protocole but not sntp

Regards

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,417 Views)

What are the servers that you are syncing with? And have you checked otherwise that these servers are reachable? Could there be anything in your network configuration hindering the connection to the server?

That's a good idea. I'll wait for your further info.

Have a nice weekend

Jacques Scheller
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,409 Views)

I am working at cern, we have our own ntp servers that we use with many devices without any problems, so I am pretty confident on the network part

Have a nice week end to

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,404 Views)

Hi Kevin,

have you managed to resolve the issue yet?

Best regards

Jacques Scheller
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,338 Views)

Hello Jacques

Since I install ntp-utils in addition of ntp-tickadj (like in the comment of this post : https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-39178)

I did not loose the synch anymore, so I don't know if it is fixed or if it is just luck, once I lost the ntp synchronisation after more than 2 weeks

Regards

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,332 Views)

Hi,

In fact installing ntp-utils seems to have helped other users as well. Do I understand you correctly that you have lost synchronisation just once in more than 2 weeks? Or does it work reliably now?

Regards

Jacques Scheller
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,330 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kdevelle

Hello Jacques,

Sorry, I was not very clear

Before adding ntp-utils, I lost the synchronization few times : sometimes after few days, once, after more than 2 weeks but also sometimes at startup I was not able to synchronize

Since I install ntp utils, 10 days ago, on 5 compact rio, I am running the ntpq -p command every minutes and I always get an answer so it means that I never lost the NTP synchronisation (or I lost it less than a minute). I will continue to monitor them, but it seems that ntp-utils helped me as weel

Regards

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,321 Views)

Hi Kevin,

so for now, installing ntp-utils really seems to have solved the problem.

I'd suggest you mark your comment as solution so other users that run into the same problem can find the solution easier.

Regards

Jacques Scheller
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,318 Views)