Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to set the time on a real time device so that the time will persist when the device is not powered?

Solved!
Go to solution

It looks like you cannot set the time on a sbRIO device (9606) and still have the correct time when the board is powered again after being unpowered for a time.  I have a product which will be stand-alone (no connection to a network) when first powered by the customer.  I would like to collect some data in a datalog and would like to put a timestamp somewhere so that I can figure out when this data was collected.  If I cannot get a correct date/time, then the next best solution would be to set up my datalogs so that I can at least figure out the correct sequence in which they were collected.  (I think I can figure that out without too much problem)    Any suggestions as to best practices?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,035 Views)

Hi,

Here are some links to some KnowledgeBase Article’s on setting the time for you target:

How Do I Set the Date and Time on a Remote Target in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FAB0EC4D6E5EE0F386257738005733A3

Configuring Time Server for FieldPoint

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C4E56AD6450FC5FD86256DFF0007FF01

Please try the steps listed in those KnowledgeBase Article and do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Devon R.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message 2 of 7
(4,973 Views)

Hey John,

For the 9606 there is a Real-Time clock (RTC) onboard that will use a battery to keep time even if the sbRIO is powered off. Please see the specification manual. http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/E065536DC595BDD886257C2E00704610

Once youve set the time the RTC will keep ticking away while powered and when powered off the battery will keep only the RTC powered. So on the next boot the time is kept because of the RTC. You'll need to connect a battery to the RTC VBat line documented in the specification. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Message 3 of 7
(4,965 Views)

Kyle, 

Thank you for your response.  This is the info I was looking for.  I did not mention that my system has a 9693 board connected to the RMC Connector.  I did not find any info on how I can connect a battery to the 9693 which will keep the RTC powered.  Is this possible?

John

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,953 Views)

Devon, 

Thank you for your response.  

I did find a software component called "NI Web-based Configuration and Monitoring 13.5.0" and instlled that.  Then I was able to set the time via MAX.  Maybe I could have before through MAX.  I was trying to do it programatically before, but this worked fine.  

John

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,951 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JohnShannon

Hey John,

Without VBat connected the time will not be preserved between shutdown periods. Unfortunately for the 9605 and 9606 we don't have a way to break out VBat with the 9693 connector. 

How many sbRIOs are you planning to deploy with your system?  9623 and 9626 have an integrated battery holder for the RTC. If you haven't purchased your sbRIOs already you could look into those options of the specs still match up.

If having time retention between shutdowns is necessary we would need to understand the scale of your application more. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Message 6 of 7
(4,939 Views)

Kyle, 

Again, thanks for your response.  It is good to know about the 9626 because I am about to use one of those on another project (with a 9693 again).  

I think we have an adequate work around figured out.  I am writing the datalogs to files on a USB drive and the plan is to build up to 200 datalogs and then just replace the old ones.  So we should always have an adequate supply of data if we need it, we'll just need to do a little looking to figure out which one is the one we want.  

I appreciate your help on this.

John

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,928 Views)