Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read Force Sensor data over CAN on a cRIO?

I would like to read the data from a force sensor that, according to the manufacturer, sends the Fx,Fy,Fz and temperature in a single standard CAN frame. I use a cRIO (9082) with module 9853 and the connector is plugged into CAN1 with an added power supply. The lights on the force sensor show that everything works correctly and that it is sending data.

What I have tried so far is to use several of the examples provided by Labview to read from the FPGA module. With the Can Basic Project example I was able to read some stream of data, but it seems to update only once per second and I'm also not sure how to translate the data to the actual force signals. The manufacturer uses 8 bytes for the 4 signals, each with a high and low byte per signal. I was told they should be read using the sensor ID, which is an 11-bit ID. There is however only a single sensor connected to the 9853 (using the proper termination resistors of course), so there is not really a network going on.

My expectation was that it would be relatively easy to read what was being sent, but now I'd like a bit of help getting on the right track. Is there a standard method for these kind of read outs, or is it really depended on manufacturer? I'd be happy to provide any information you need!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(3,888 Views)