Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High speed AD/DA with cRIO

Hi,

I need to implement a TDR (Time Division Reflectometer) for cable fault  detection. My system should inject a very narrow pulse (rise time less
than 5 ns) into a RG# cable terminated with an open and samples it at high-speed to measure the reflected wave. The acquired data can be used
to estimate some cable parameters and to detect faults.

My sistem shall provide:
* High speed ADC > 1Gsps
* High speed DAC > 1Gsps
* Countinuous acquisition for at least 10 us @ 1Gsps (which is enough to test a 900 m cable with 60% velocity factor)
* Pulse injected into the cable shall be 5-10 Vpp, depending on cable length
* Raw data shall be buffered during acquisition and sent to a host PC once acquisiton is completed, or streamed while acquiring (if possible)
* Possible interfaces between host PC and TDR: USB, RJ45. If possible, avoid using PCI
* Implementation: I/O interface and in-stream data processing must be implementend using an FPGA. This is the most important requirement.

I know these sample-rates requirements are too fast for any C-series module, but in my lab we have a cRIO and would like to use it istead of buying new hardware, or at least migrate to another NI solution so we can still use LabView. Does someone know any cRIO high-speed application or can advice about a suitable NI solution?

Thks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,739 Views)

Hey Riccec,

Depending on which cRIO controller you have you may be able to use a MXI connector to a PXI chassis which will have the hardware needed to collect data samples that quickly. We do not have a 1Gsps ADC or DAC currently for the cRIO product line but other options become available on PXI. 

Which model of cRIO are you using?

Feel free to give our Sales a call and we can help you figure out what optoins we have. If we can reuse the cRIO we'll definately let you know. If we can't come up with a working solution that includes the cRIO we'll be able to discuss other options. 

This is the general number and not my direct number, sales can also direct you to the Application Engineers who work with a specific product line and can point you to some examples also.

(877) 387-0015

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,725 Views)