NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums
PESobol
0 Kudos

FTP server on CRIO

I'm running a CRIO-9073.  THe CRIO logs data to a local file which I occasionally would like to copy from the CRIO using FTP.  If a reboot the CRIO I can connect to the FTP server and copy the file using the Labview FTP vi's or from any FTP server.  After several hours of operation I can no longer connect to the FTP server from anywhere, I get an error message as shown below.  All other communications are done through shared variables, these continue to run and operate normally.  The NI distributed system manager allows full access to the CRIO and shows CPU usage < 20%.  Memory usage is about 95%, but this doesn't change. 

WHen I'm in the condition with no FTP server connection I can't connect to the CRIO using MAX (error: 0xBFFF00A7 (VI_ERROR_MACHINE_NAVAIL) )

, if I disconnect the Distributed System Manager I can reconnect but it typically takes a few minutes to do so.  I can access all shared variables once reconnected.

Any ideas why this might happen, and is there a way to monitor the condition of the FTP server on the CRIO and restart it without rebooting if necessary?

Error 56: TCP Read in NI_InternetTK_Common_VIs.lvlib:TCP Read xTP Reply.vi:2->NI_InternetTK_FTP_VIs.lvlib:FTP Get Command Reply.vi:1->NI_InternetTK_FTP_VIs.lvlib:FTP Open Session.vi->NI_InternetTK_FTP_VIs.lvlib:FTP Get Multiple Files and Buffers.vi->NI_InternetTK_FTP_VIs.lvlib:FTP Get File.vi->DatalogViewer.vi

Active Participant
Hueter
0 Kudos

Re: FTP server on CRIO

PESobol
0 Kudos

Thanks Hunter, that made the situation better, but I still lose the FTP connection on occasion- usually after running for 3+ days with a reboot of the cRIO.

FTP operations simply can't connect. All the communication through the shared variables or distributed system manager appear to function fine.  MAX usually can't connect. 

Active Participant
Hueter
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are you able to connect to the FTP through Windows Explorer? Just open up Windows Explorer type ftp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX in the path field where all the X's are the IP address of your target. If you can't connect to the cRIO using this method then your firewall or network adaptior may be blocking ports 20 and or 21.

Also if you are using password protection for yout FTP check this KB out.

-Hunter

Message Edited by Hueter on 03-15-2010 03:13 PM
PESobol
0 Kudos

I've checked the ports and disabled the firewall, no dice - besides the problem only occurs if the rio has been running for a while.  If I reboot, everything is fine for a couple of days.  But when I can't connect it doesn't matter if i'm using the FTP vi's or explorer.  When I'm in this condition I can't connect through MAX either.  Is there a FTP server process on the RIO that could be stopping? And is there a way to restart it?
Active Participant
Ben_S
0 Kudos

PESobol,

Check out the document Why Does My CompactRIO Controller Not Show Up in Measurement & Automation Explorer? for more troubleshooting ideas for cRIO communication issues.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ben Sisney
FlexRIO & R-Series Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Active Participant
JoshuaP
0 Kudos

Sounds like you may have a memory leak and that is causing the FTP server to fail.  The data in the distributed system manager may be stale if the target has stopped publishing data.  After rebooting if you watch the memory usage does it creap up over time?

-Josh

Active Participant
LabBEAN
0 Kudos

PESobol wrote:

copy the file using the Labview FTP vi's

These VIs are very slow in general.  May I suggest Command Line FTP (attached)?

Sounds like you have a memory leak.  If the Shared Variables are already in memory, this could explain why they could continue to function temporarily while new FTP operations would not function.  95 % memory useage is pretty high.  Trying to remember when things start getting flaky on the cRIO - I think around 4 MB.