Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP server on CRIO

I'm running a CRIO-9073.  THe CRIO logs data to a local file which I occasionally would like to copy from the CRIO using FTP.  If a reboot the CRIO I can connect to the FTP server and copy the file using the Labview FTP vi's or from any FTP server.  After several hours of operation I can no longer connect to the FTP server from anywhere, I get an error message as shown below.  All other communications are done through shared variables, these continue to run and operate normally.  The NI distributed system manager allows full access to the CRIO and shows CPU usage < 20%.  Memory usage is about 95%, but this doesn't change. 

WHen I'm in the condition with no FTP server connection I can't connect to the CRIO using MAX (error: 0xBFFF00A7 (VI_ERROR_MACHINE_NAVAIL) )

, if I disconnect the Distributed System Manager I can reconnect but it typically takes a few minutes to do so.  I can access all shared variables once reconnected.

Any ideas why this might happen, and is there a way to monitor the condition of the FTP server on the CRIO and restart it without rebooting if necessary?

Error 56: TCP Read in NI_InternetTK_Common_VIs.lvlib:TCP Read xTP Reply.vi:2->NI_InternetTK_FTP_VIs.lvlib:FTP Get Command Reply.vi:1->NI_InternetTK_FTP_VIs.lvlib:FTP Open Session.vi->NI_InternetTK_FTP_VIs.lvlib:FTP Get Multiple Files and Buffers.vi->NI_InternetTK_FTP_VIs.lvlib:FTP Get File.vi->DatalogViewer.vi

Message 1 of 11
(12,159 Views)

Have you seen this Knowledge Base Article?

MAX Error 56 When Communicating With a LabVIEW Real-Time Controller

Hunter Smith

Applications Engineering

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(12,131 Views)

Thanks Hunter, that made the situation better, but I still lose the FTP connection on occasion- usually after running for 3+ days with a reboot of the cRIO.

FTP operations simply can't connect. All the communication through the shared variables or distributed system manager appear to function fine.  MAX usually can't connect. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(12,049 Views)

Are you able to connect to the FTP through Windows Explorer? Just open up Windows Explorer type ftp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX in the path field where all the X's are the IP address of your target. If you can't connect to the cRIO using this method then your firewall or network adaptior may be blocking ports 20 and or 21.

Also if you are using password protection for yout FTP check this KB out.

-Hunter

Message Edited by Hueter on 03-15-2010 03:13 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(12,013 Views)
I've checked the ports and disabled the firewall, no dice - besides the problem only occurs if the rio has been running for a while.  If I reboot, everything is fine for a couple of days.  But when I can't connect it doesn't matter if i'm using the FTP vi's or explorer.  When I'm in this condition I can't connect through MAX either.  Is there a FTP server process on the RIO that could be stopping? And is there a way to restart it?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(11,996 Views)

PESobol,

Check out the document Why Does My CompactRIO Controller Not Show Up in Measurement & Automation Explorer? for more troubleshooting ideas for cRIO communication issues.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(11,962 Views)

Sounds like you may have a memory leak and that is causing the FTP server to fail.  The data in the distributed system manager may be stale if the target has stopped publishing data.  After rebooting if you watch the memory usage does it creap up over time?

-Josh

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(11,802 Views)

PESobol wrote:

copy the file using the Labview FTP vi's

These VIs are very slow in general.  May I suggest Command Line FTP (attached)?

Sounds like you have a memory leak.  If the Shared Variables are already in memory, this could explain why they could continue to function temporarily while new FTP operations would not function.  95 % memory useage is pretty high.  Trying to remember when things start getting flaky on the cRIO - I think around 4 MB.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
Message 8 of 11
(11,232 Views)

Hi, 
I realized that the first post is 8 years old, but I have the exact same problem, i.e. the FTP stop working until I reset the unit.
I don't use a CRIO, but a NI WSN 9792 Gateway, but I think that despite the wireless feature, it's pretty similar to a CRIO.

I have several units that acquire data on remote locations, I retrieve those data via the FTP server of the gateways. These gateway run on their own and are not easily accessible. Every now and then I have to go there (several hours drive) just to press the reset button. 

It seems that the other functions of the gateway remains intact because I don't loose data when the FTP is down. 

But, I repeat, it is very annoying that the FTP stop working for no apparent reason. Sometime it works for several weeks, but sometime it last only a few days.

The strangest thing is that I have two gateway on the same location ( a couple hundreds meter appart) that are connected with two distinct cellular modem that stopped working at the same time. The two modems have a static IP address that is identical except for the last digit, so I suspect that maybe a bot that scan for open FTP may trigger the FTP to stop working (My FTP server is not open, but maybe that too many request make it fail)

So, if you have an idea to resolve that problem it would be great.
Thank you

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,042 Views)

Hi Mathieu,

First off, you will gain more visibility for your issue by creating a new forum post, so I recommend you do that.

When your WSN cannot access the FTP sever, does the communication through shared variables and Distributed Systems Manager still function properly?

Does this occur with both FTP VIs and the Windows Explorer?

Brian.D
NI Product Owner
VeriStand
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,017 Views)