Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA Type Cast SGL

I am using a DMA to pass data up and down between my FPGA and my RT (cRIO).  I made the DMA data type a U64.  My intent was to use 16 bits for a command ID, another 16 bits for a signal ID, and then make the lower 32 bits the data.  My data is supposed to be passed around as a SGL and then converted into the Fixed-Point inside of the FPGA (which I was told was more efficient).  The problem I have ran into is that I have no way to type cast the SGL into a U32 to then be joined with my message.

I did manage to make an IP node based on the example given here.  But that just seems like a kludge to me.  There has got be be a better way.  Anybody know of a better way?  All I really want is to reinterpret the bits as a U32.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,191 Views)

I've only done this with the VHDL provided by Dragis here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Flatten-floating-point-on-FPGA-for-multichannel-DMA/m-p/2576179#M776...

While it's slightly different HDL, it's the exact same thing you're trying to avoid here...

To the best of my knowledge, it's not a language feature available on the palettes anywhere. I also don't see it on the idea exchange yet.

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,189 Views)

@T-REX$ wrote:

I also don't see it on the idea exchange yet.

It is now.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,182 Views)

I needed U32 to typecset to SGL type DMA channel.

I had to created this IP code:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-26569

you needed same only in opposite way

I am working for your Idea

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,959 Views)

Yeah, we did find that one as well.  We went with the code by Dragis since it was written to be a little more generic.  Still not happy that we have to go with an IP node for something that should take 0 gates.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,958 Views)

Hi, Having the same issue, I've found this archived note ( Using Fixed-Point Data Types with Integer-Based IP in LabVIEW FPGA 8.5.x and 8.6.x ). 

I think this may less kludge.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,634 Views)

@El-MDA wrote:

Hi, Having the same issue, I've found this archived note ( Using Fixed-Point Data Types with Integer-Based IP in LabVIEW FPGA 8.5.x and 8.6.x ). 

I think this may less kludge.

The problem with that is that you have to coerce the SGL to a FXP.  I wanted to put my SGL directly into my message, which was a U64 sent over a DMA FIFO.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,612 Views)