Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Module for cRIO

Heelo,

Is there any Ethernet cRIo module on the market?  I've seen a picture on antoher forum of the cRIO-9068 controler , where the Ehternet port 2 is connected through the FPGA backplane.  Can we access the Ethernet from the FPGA?

The reason I'mm asking this is simple.  I have 30 system deployed usng CAN FPGA and my sensor manufacturer told us that they are going away from CAN bus to Ethernet 100 Mb/s.  It is easier and cheaper for us to change the hardware and replace the part of of the FPGA where we read the sensor data than to rewrite the complete application.

Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,849 Views)

Hey Patrick,

We don't currently have a ethernet module that can talk directly to the FPGA. For any of the RIO  controllers that use Zync (cRIO-9068) they have Ethernet PHYs built into the product are exposed to the outside through the FPGA. TCP traffic itself is not very deterministic.

The 9068 has a second ethernet port built in so that you can connect to the sensors directly or you could potentially host them all on the same network and allow multiple devices to talk to them. 

There is a switch Module that may be useful to allow more physically connections but it does not interact through the FPGA. 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/2726/en/

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Message 2 of 2
(5,846 Views)