Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection lost, can't reconnect to cRIO after computer restart/hibernate

Greetings all

I'm developing a simple real-time program for a compactRIO controller connected to a PC.  It utilises a front panel for control and indication of the devices connected.  Any time the computer is restarted or goes to sleep, the connection is lost, but on starting up again the computer is unable to reconnect and gives an error message that the cRIO is in use by another system.  The only way to reconnect is by restarting the cRIO.

How can I correct this?  Ideally, we'd like the cRIO to continue running the VI but detect when communication to the PC is lost so we can set up automatic shutdowns and alarming, but having the cRIO automatically halt the VI would be acceptable too as the devices connected automatically stop after a communications timeout.  My primary concern is just with needing to restart the cRIO every time it loses connectivity to the PC though.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,811 Views)

Hi GateKeeper,

An RT Executable will come in handy in this situation since the EXE will continue running after you disconnect from the host. In addition, even if you use the cRIO in interactive mode, try adding a heartbeat message from your target and host. When the heartbeat does not occur, you can begin your automatic shutdown / alarming routine. A message using TCP/IP protocol allows you to configure a timeout and check for error codes. Hope this helps!

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,796 Views)