Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C series data storage module?

We will be using a 9067 chassis running headless in a potentially high vibration environment for several hours. The memory available in the controller is not sufficient for the amount of data we may need to acquire (~2-4 GB?).  I have searched for something like a solid state disk drive in a C-series module but have not found anything. I have considered an Ethernet-connected external drive but have concerns about the reliability of the RJ-type connectors under vibration and the inconvenience of having to physically mount another device.

Does anyone know of such a device or what other suggestions do you have?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,244 Views)

Hi Lynn

I hope the system is progressing well. I was interested in this to see the options - so had a quick look.

This is what I saw:

1. There is a c-series module 9802 that can accommodate an SD card up to 4GB - http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/204328 - but just a bit expensive!
  2. I noticed there is what looks like a screw thread above the USB Type B socket - but I couldn't see a suitable cable or memory stick for a type B socket that has a similar retention screw - but there must be something as otherwise why is it there?. I would have been inclined to look at making a small bracket that fits into the thread and around whatever device you buy, until I saw ...
  3. http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210962 - you might then be able to have the free end of the cable mounted such that it is away from the vibration, or try to find a type A USB memory stick which has compatible retaining screws (had a quick look and couldn't see any - but again surely something should be available?). Or if you don't mind you could just glue that connection in place since you can still unscrew at the cRIO.

hope useful

Andy

Consultant Control Engineer
www-isc-ltd.com
Message 2 of 8
(4,237 Views)

Andy,

Thanks again for your suggestions.

1. Not compatible with the cRIO-9067, but an interesting concept.  That is what I was looking for.

3. Looks like a good possibility. And much cheaper. A little silicone sealant (non-acid type) and a few nylon tie straps might work.

The main programmer was pulled off for another project for a while but we did get some smple examples running under Real-time. Now we can begin to focus on the actaul program. If we could just get the researchers to tell us what they really want...

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,233 Views)

Hi Lynn,

Another option could be to use a wireless network module

as supplied by sea systems then you could access the data in real time.

The threaded sockets by the UDB A and B ports are for NI's USB leads to meet Class 1 requirements such as 152166-02.

We have had some qualification testing for both shock and vibration using the RJ45 connectors and not had any problems.

Cheers

Stephen

Message 4 of 8
(4,172 Views)

Stephen,

Thank you for the information.

The wireless module will not work as we need a 40 mile (64 km) range.

It is good to know that the RJ-45 is robust to vibration. I have seen some connectors fall apart or break connections and was concerned that something similar could happen with the RJ-45.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,167 Views)

Hi Lynn,

There is always 3G/GPS or the 4G/GPS that are also available from SEA Systems if you need 40 miles and the reception is suitable.

Of course this could be complete overkill a M.2 SSD inside a USB enclosure and attached to the USB port on the cRIO via a USB Lead with judicious use of silicone adhesive might be all you need.

Cheers

Stephen

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,162 Views)

Stephen,

I have been thinking about the latter!  More along the lines of "copious" rather than "judicious."

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,160 Views)

Hi Lynn,

If you used a M.2 SSD in an enclusure you could then purchase a 196917-01 NI 9977 C Series Filler Module for Empty Slot and mount the SSD enclosure in it. This would in effect be your own custom made data storage module in a C-series module that would not be too expensive. A standard 2.5" SSD does not fit the module without a little extra "engineering".

Using the threaded socket on the cRIO to secure the USB connector you would have an easily removable data storage module that might not have any silicone adhesive - depending upon how you mount the SSD.

Cheers

Stephen

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,141 Views)