cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS update to remove FRC BIOS from cRIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy an FRC cRIO and have been experimenting with the hardware while researching it.

I've installed LabView 2013 SP1 software on the cRIO using MAX and can compile and run a simple FPGA vi on the cRIO, however, when I stop the vi, the same three ouputs on the 9472 module come on.  I'm assuming this has something to do with the FRC BIOS because my vi isn't using those channels and they are off when my vi runs.

I searched ni.com/downloads but couldn't find any firmware or BIOS updates for the cRIO-9074.

Is it possible to completely re-image the cRIO so that it is a "normal" cRIO and not an FRC formatted cRIO?

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30
(7,082 Views)

Hello jeepers52004,

Please take a look to this link which hopefuly can be helpful!

"How To: Re-Imaging the FRC cRIO for 2013"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYB1tbAgtMU

Regards,

Daniel C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 30
(7,050 Views)

@Danubio wrote:

Hello @jeepers52004,

Please take a look to this link which hopefuly can be helpful!

"How To: Re-Imaging the FRC cRIO for 2013"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYB1tbAgtMU

Regards,

Daniel C.

Hello Daniel,

The instructions you referenced would allow me to go from an older or no version of the FRC installation to a new FRC installation.  I'd like to go the other way; from FRC to no FRC.

Thank you,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30
(7,047 Views)

Hey Michael,

What do you mean remove the FRC BIOS?
Do you just want the controller to work with non-FRC LabVIEW? You'd just need to install LabVIEW + RT + FPGA + NI-RIO Driver and it should show up. 

We don't recommend the FRC controllers for use in industry applications as they are specifically created for the FRC competition. Are you looking to program them to build up your skill or do you plan to actually deploy an application with them.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30
(7,043 Views)

@Kyle-H wrote:

Hey Michael,

What do you mean remove the FRC BIOS?
Do you just want the controller to work with non-FRC LabVIEW? You'd just need to install LabVIEW + RT + FPGA + NI-RIO Driver and it should show up. 

We don't recommend these controllers for industry applications as they are specifically created for the FRC competition. Are you looking to program them to build up your skill or do you plan to actually deploy an application with them.

Hello Kyle,

I am interested in buying this controller for my own skill building projects and not for actual use in industry.

I've loaded the necessary software on the controller and it runs my basic (working through the FPGA tutorial) FPGA vi just fine.  When I stop the vi and disconnect from the controller, the same three outputs on the DIO module turn on (I'm not using any of those outputs in the basic vi.) I think from what I was able to find online, there is code in the OS or BIOS that either requires or sends out signals to/from the operator station. I'm thinking that's why these same outputs come on.  If this is the case, perhaps there are other outputs that will come on that I'm just not seeing yet with the simple experimentation I've done and I'd like to remove these conditions, if possible.

I've tried formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the software but it doesn't seem to change the conditions even without loading the simple vi.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30
(7,038 Views)

Michael,

Which version of LabVIEW are you useing? If it is RIO specific and you are using their frame work then it may have some safestates. It may be setting the outputs to a high impedance on the 9472 after exiting. 

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30
(7,027 Views)

I'm using LabView 2013 SP1 and the matching versions of RIO drivers and Real Time Module.  I'm using the 2013 FPGA module in demo form.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(7,015 Views)

Michael,
If you run any FPGA vi it will set the outputs on the 9472?

Is it only one vi? Any vi that interacts with the 9472?

Can you upload your vi?

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30
(7,013 Views)

Hi Kyle,

Those outputs are set if I do not have an FPGA vi running on the hardware.  When I run my vi from the FPGA tutorial, those outputs are not on but as soon as I stop it and disconnect from the cRIO in the project, those three outputs come on.

It's really my best bet for getting a cRIO on my budget so anything I can try, I'm open to.  I don't know anyone who has a 9074 but if I did, could I get a copy of their image using the RAD tool and use it to reload this FRC cRIO?  Does NI offer anything like this?

Thanks.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30
(6,981 Views)

Michael,

Can you please upload your code?

How are you telling the ouputs come on?

If you remove the power from the chassis and reapply it do the outputs come on? Without running any code on the target?

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30
(6,978 Views)