Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing shared Variable with cRio9035

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to realtime applications. Part of my thesis project is creating a labview program to communicate between a Windows PC and a cRIO 9035. Therefore, I want to use shared variables to establish this communication. The Windows PC is the host and the cRio the client. On the Windows PC this works fine, but I need to know which packages and license I need to implement reading and writing the shared Variables on the cRIO. Does the Shared Variable Engine work on the cRIO out of the box or if not, what packages and software in needed on the cRIO?
Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,838 Views)

You need to make sure you install scan engine support and shared variable support on the cRIO. Easiest thing to do is just select everything when you do the cRIO software install through MAX. I don't remember what the standard install is on the cRIO out of the box. You can check the installed software through MAX. As far as using the shared variables you can drag them from the project and drop them directly onto the block diagram. There is also a way to access the shared variable by name but that's more complicated to do right.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,808 Views)

I think MarkCG meant network variable engine (NVE), not scan engine. You wouldn't use the scan engine for cRIO-to-Windows communication. Scan engine is useful for other things. But as he said, the simple way is just to install everything. Then you'll definitely get what you need.

For completeness: you sometimes don't need the NVE either, as you can host the shared variables on Windows and just use the shared variable client (which is installed by default) on the cRIO. But it can be useful to deploy the variable to the cRIO, for example, if you might connect from a different Windows PC.

Message 3 of 3
(2,782 Views)