Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid Modification and Debugging

swatts
Active Participant

If you saw me doing Fab`s presentation "How to Polish Your Software and Development Process to Wow Your End Users" I'd like to apologise for making you uncomfortable, ah who am I kidding! I found it very funny indeed. Just to explain I stopped for 30 seconds just before talking about splash screens, causing lots of uncomfortable seat shuffling and worried looking attendees. Had a very good day, thanks to all who worked so hard.

In the last blog I laid out that you will likely be hit with changes at the most inconvenient time in a project i.e. at the end. This got me to thinking about one of the key benefits of visual programming and that is Rapid Modification. Some call this debugging and Glass rather directly (and accurately) calls the process error removal. The trouble with both of these terms is that they have the taint of failure about them. So if you are debugging you must be an idiot for putting bugs in in the first place!! Error removal!, WHAT I DON'T PAY $xxx/hour FOR YOU TO PUT ERRORS IN! I think you know where I'm coming from.

With a software project the standard view is that maintenance is a significant part of the cost of a project (40%-80% from various studies, 60% is an average), and a majority of this cost is not error-removal but adding new capabilities. Adding new capabilities and rapid modification is a positive thing, successful software is modified.

So a more grown-up view is that modification at the end of the project is normal, and if like us, you classify maintenance as the phase that begins from the moment you deliver the software to the customer that 60% doesn't sound so extreme. In short this is a very very important part of the software process and making this easy for ourselves will pay big dividends.

What is the debugging process?

remember__m6rc8u__.jpg

1. Reproduce...Observe the process,Understand the problem
  2. Diagnose....Visualise the process
  3. Fix....Introduce a change
  4. Reflect....Test the change

As I mentioned earlier LabVIEW has some help to give us and this is one of its fundamental advantages.

The block diagram is an enormously powerful visualisation tool, cherish it please.

Probes, breakpoints, execution trace are all helpful.

Searching (please improve it NI), even with it's limitations it's sooo useful.

We can also help ourselves, here are some techniques to use..

Reading Before Writing...

Harlan Mills has it right, software should primarily be designed to be read. The decision to sacrifice readability is an expensive one (not necessarily for the original developer, but definitely for anyone else involved in the process)

Labeling Loops

Labeling Cases