RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USRP not connecting

Solved!
Go to solution

I am attempting to use the NI USRP to my laptop to be used in Labview programs. I am having an issue where I am unable get a connection with the USRP. I have a coupe USRP devices and have had no success with any of them. I followed the getting started guided, made sure I have a static IP address, turned off my firewall and still don't have a connection. When I try and ping the IP address for the USRP it times out. I believe I have a 1 Gb ethernet port, that was the only thing I wasn't sure about. I've tried searching to see if it is but haven't had much luck.

Any suggestions as to what I can do would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(7,564 Views)

Hi sssmcd,

You can find out which network adapter you have by looking under Network adapters in Windows Device Manager.  A quick way to get to the device manager is to open up the Start Menu and search for device manager.  Hopefully this helps in determining whether you have a 1 gigabit ethernet interface.

Josh B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,550 Views)

Josh,

Thank you for your response. I was able to find the network card and verify that it is capable of a 1Gb connection. This does however leave me with no explenation as to why the USRP is not connecting. I've been troubleshooting to try and get a connection but nothing has worked as of yet. I'll keep trying but any futher assitance would be appricated.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(7,546 Views)

Just an update on my progress I have been able to get a ping the device. I still having a problem with the NI-USRP configuration utility not returning a listing for my device. I have already turned off the firewall. I have a 1 Gb ethernet and up to date drivers. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,540 Views)

Hi sssmcd,

What IP address is the device set to?  Is it set to the default IP address of 192.168.10.2?

Josh B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,525 Views)

Josh,

It should be in the default IP address. I haven't changed the IP address on either of the devices. I've attached a picture of the response I get when I attempt to ping the USRP. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,517 Views)

Hi sssmcd,

Thank you for providing that image.  What is the device that has an IP address of 156.110.167.1?  

If this is your network card, you need to make sure you set the network card to a static address on the same subnet as the USRP.  We recommend 192.168.10.1.  

If this device is an ethernet hub/switch then this could be your problem.  The USRP needs to be directly connected to the computer, not through a switch or hub.

Josh B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,503 Views)

As noted, 'normal' is

IP address default of USRP: 192.168.10.2

IP address of PC ntwk adapter: 192.168.10.1  (or 1 can be another number other than 2)

Subnet mask of PC ntwk adapter: 255.255.255.0

Did you confirm that the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 on your PC network adapter?

Did you try connecting to a different PC as a test?  You don't need a driver to plug in and ping (ensuring to set IP address and subnet mask on PC to appropreat value as above).

Check here if you want to hard reset the IP of USRP (i.e. safemode), but I suspect subnet mask is wrong.  

http://forums.ni.com/t5/USRP-Software-Radio/How-can-I-reset-the-USRP-IP-address-to-the-default-192-1...

By the way, these type of steps are typical for all network based devices, NI and otherwise.

Also, I assume you read through http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375717a.pdf?

We'll help you get it working.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(7,497 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sssmcd

Josh and Nemo,

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. With the assistance of a colleague I found that I had the incorrect cable to connect the USRP device to my laptop. I appreciate the help and am glad a solution was found.

A side note the other device was my wireless network card, which turned out to be a moot issue after getting the rigth cable.

Regards,

ssmcd

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,492 Views)

Sounds good sssmcd.  I'm glad you were able to find a solution.

Josh B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(7,487 Views)