From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing 2 5663's and 2 5673's with TClk for a MIMO setup

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

I'm trying to make a MIMO channel sounder with 2 5663's and 2 5673's. I've been able to synchronize the individual 5663 to a respective 5673 but in order for it to be a MIMO sounder, the transceiver pair must be synchronized with each other as well. Using an external clock is out of the question because of the lack of it. I have tried using the "RFSA Synchronization with TClk and RFSG.vi". I have also read some similar posts here but the one similar to my case here but isn't solved. Is it possible to use the niTClk vi's to do this? Whenever I try to synchronize all 4 modules, I get different errors such as "An acquisition has not been initiated"(-250032) or "The specified session is invalid. Make sure that the sessions you pass to NI-TClk are valid" (-223552). I'm looking for different options that doesn't include acquiring an external clock or using CLKIN and CLKOUT because only 1 5652 has a REF OUT2.

Any kind help will appreciated

Attached is my vi. Forgive the mess

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,344 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IvanNepo

Hi IvanNepo,

Just to clarify, are you using one of our preconfigured MIMO Test Systems? Even if not, I'd recommend taking a look at some of those resources, as they use the same modules.

6.6 GHz MIMO Platform Getting Started Guide

MIMO Test System Product Page

Getting this synchronization should be possible, but as you've realized it will certainly take some finesse in trigger lines and routing. 

In terms of useful example programs, you mentioned trying the RFSA Synchronization with TClk and RFSG.vi already - why didn't this work?  

I wanted to also point out two additional example programs:

RFSG 5673 Synchronization (TClk, Shared LO).vi

RFSA Synchronization (TCLk, Shared LO and Reference Clock).vi

The above two examples synchronize up to 4 5673s and up to 4 5663s, respectively. If you combine the concepts in all three of the examples, that should get you on the right path.

Ashley G.
Senior Applications Engineer | RF & Wireless Communications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,295 Views)

Hello, Ashly

My VI isn't based from a preconfigured MIMO Test System unfortunately, but I will look at it for further applications.

Apparently the initialization of the RFSA modules caused the errors as I was able to synchronize all four RF modules with TClk after a bit of trial and error. I just feared that I needed both 5673E's to pair with only 5663E's as I only have one of the latter.

Anyways, it all works as expected now. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Ivan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,290 Views)

Hey Ivan,

I'm glad you were able to get it working! Mark your post as an answer, and post your code if you're willing, so that others in the NI Community can see the solution if they have similar questions in the future!

Ashley G.
Senior Applications Engineer | RF & Wireless Communications
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,281 Views)