From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize AWG & Digitizer

I want to synchronize my setup which consists of 2x PXI5441 AWG modules in 1 chassis and 1 PXI5112 digitizer card on another chassis. currently using the PFI lines to trigger the events.

Connections made are the following:

NI-5112        1st NI-5441        2nd NI-5441
PFI1                                     PFI0 (Ref Clock) 
AUX            PFI0 (Marker) 
CH0                
CH1            CH0 (Tx Signal)
TRIG                                    CH0 (Analog Trigger)

Measured and checked each individual signal:

Ref Clk is a square wave: 10MHz

Analog Trigger is a 10kHz signal

Marker is a pulse

waveform captured by 5112 seems not stable or synced. any recommendations?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,624 Views)

@Ld3N,

Can you confirm that you are using Pin 6 on the Aux input of the PXI-5112 for the sync pulse? Also, it is difficult to interpret .mat files and the text file that you included. Could you provide screenshots for what you are seeing and more information about what seems unstable and/or not synced? This will give us some more information to go on. Thanks!

Robert B
RF Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,606 Views)

Hi Robert,

yes, using pin 6 for PFI2 signal via a 9pin DIN connector-to-BNC (and BNC to SMB cable) to connect it to the 5441 module.

attached are the screenshots of the individual signals and the output i'm getting at 5112 which is fluctuating.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,599 Views)

@Ld3N,

Looking at your pictures, what is likely happening is that the analog waveform you are using as a trigger signal is not the same period as the waveform you are trying to trigger and is therefore triggering at different points in the waveform. An idea I had was that maybe you could use a marker signal as a digital trigger rather than using an analog trigger. Let me know what you think.

Robert B
RF Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,575 Views)