From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R&S ZNB VNA setup

Hi,

I have set up a ethernet connection from LabVIEW to my VNA which is a Rohde and Schwarz ZNB Vector Network Analyser, I have downloaded the instrument drivers but they have not come with any examples unlike any other instrument drivers I have used.

I am trying to setup communication to read the S-Parameters of the an attached device, has anyone acheived this or seen any examples/ guides on how to do so as all I am receiving in LabVIEW is results that dont even remotely represent what is displayed on the VNA's screen.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,116 Views)

Hi Michael,

My name is Joshua Young and I am from the Applications Engineering department at National Instruments UK. I am sorry to hear you are having issues connecting to your device but hope I can offer some assistance. 

Please understand that a lot of the drivers for third party instruments are not supported by NI and therefore may not have in depth documentation or examples to follow.

Could you give some more information on the exact model instrument you have and the drivers you have already installed.

It might have to be the case where you try finding drivers for a similar device and see if any examples are given. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Joshua Young

Applications Engineer 

National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,044 Views)

Hi Joshua,

The Instrument driver I have installed is called the Rohde&Schwarz ZNB/ZNC, on the R&S instrument driver page it is called 'VXIplug&play x86 Driver RSVNA'. The model number of the instrument is 'ZNB - 8' 

I have managed to connect to the device but cannot extract the correct data, I am setting the frequency range and the format within LabVIEW and this changes on the VNA but the data is not what I can see on the screen of the instrument.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,030 Views)

Hi again, 

I have a look at the available drivers and there doesn't seem to be much up to data support for the device or drivers.

As you can connect to the device, can I confirm that you have the Rohde&Schwarz Instrument palettes installed? 

Also, would you be able to share your code so I can see how you are trying to access the device? 

Thanks,

Joshua Young

Applications Engineer

National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,018 Views)

Hi Joshua,

That is the palette I have avaliable, I have attached the code that I can show.

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,009 Views)

Hi again Michael,

I have spent some time looking at your code and the functions available. There doesn’t seem to be much information on how to acquire from the instrument in the help files or online. I think you would massively benefit from an example from the driver developer, ie. R&S. Unfortunately, as it isn’t an NI supported driver I cannot get hold of any more information with regards to functions and examples.

Some things I did notice however were that you were not actually closing the connection to the instrument with the close.vi as the reference is not connected.

The configuration FOR loop seems to unnecessary as it only iterates once. Removing this would not affect any functionality or data flow.

In addition, have you had any errors occur? As you do not seem to have any form of error handling, I would advise using a simple error handler to manage errors.

Would you be able to supply a screen shot of the data you are actually acquiring from the instrument?

Have you tried executing the Trace Response Data.vi on its own?

Your best bet would be to contact R&S customer support to see if they have any more information and if they can support you on the matter.

I will see if I can come up with anything else however it is difficult without the hardware. I hope we find a solution soon.

Regards,

Joshua Young

Applciations Engineer

National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,975 Views)

Hi nashm999,

have you checked the ZNB driver page? There are a lot of examples on how to use the driver in the bottom page section, you have to download them separately:

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/en/driver/znb/

You're writing that you've installed VXIpnp driver, but you're working in LabVIEW - that's a little confusing... Just make sure you download an example that fit your development environment.

Best Regards,

Milo

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,919 Views)