RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to use a labview spectrum analyzer for 2.4GHz anylizer

I am trying to build a 2.4GHz antenna for a class reasearch project. and I want to use a labview Spectrum analizer to test it. But the boards we have in our lab only support frequencies of 2KHz. I was wondering if NI made a DAQ board that would support this frequency and exactly what is it.
Message 1 of 5
(10,546 Views)
National Instruments offers the PXI-5660 RF Signal Analyzer for measuring signals up to 2.7 GHz in frequency. Included with the PXI-5660 is the Spectral Measurements Toolkit software for making spectral measurements such as zoom FFT and zoom power spectrums, power in band, occupied bandwidth, peak power and frequency, and power spectral density to name a few.
In addition, Modulation Toolkit 1.0 also comes with the PXI-5660, which can be used to demodulate AM, FM, and PM signals acquired with the PXI-5660 in LabVIEW.

The hardware consists of a wideband RF downconverter (PXI-5600) and a high spectral purity IF digitizer (PXI-5620). Follow this link for more information:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=11458〈=US
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(10,545 Views)
I actually was hoping to be able to use this in Labview. My university already had a labview setup and I was hoping to use it. but since the DAQ board we have only supports 2KHz I didnt think I could use it. I was wondering what I could do with it and what labview euipment I would need. if I needed anything new.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(10,546 Views)
I actually was hoping to be able to use this in Labview. My university already had a labview setup and I was hoping to use it. but since the DAQ board we have only supports 2KHz I didnt think I could use it. I was wondering what I could do with it and what labview euipment I would need. if I needed anything new. Or can I hook this analyzer up to Labview
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(10,545 Views)
The PXI-5660 and associated software (Spectral Measurements Toolkit, Modulation Toolkit) are very tightly integrated with LabVIEW. I might be unclear as to your situation, but I will look at this from two perspectives:

Hardware perspective:
If you are testing a 2.4 GHz antenna, if you wanted a digitizer to simply digitize the output of the antenna, it would have to run at a sampling rate of at least 4.8 GSamples/sec due to the Nyquist Sampling Theorem. Other options include placing an RF downconverter in front of a digitizer. The downconverter then shifts the signal of interest to a lower frequency, which also lowers the Nyquist ctiterion, allowing lower sampling rates to be used.

None of NI's DAQ boards can sample fast enough to captu
re RF signals, unless there is some form of signal conditioning on the front end, like a downconverter. The PXI-5660 RF Signal Analyzer uses this approach.

Software perspective:
Once the data is acquired, it can easily be analyzed with LabVIEW analysis VIs and with the new Modulation and Spectral Measurements Toolkits (both in LabVIEW). Regardless of how you acquire the data, LabVIEW can analyze it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(10,545 Views)