RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5661RFSA error: frequency tuning PLL is not locked

Hi,

We had developed a GFSK ATE using 5661. The ATE worked very well in past 3 month. However, recently, an error occured during test. The error information is as fowling:

niRFSA Read IQ (Complex Cluster 1Rec 1Chan).vi<ERR>The frequency tuning PLL is not locked.

Status Code: -233532

Can anyone help solving this problem?

Thank you.

Chen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(10,472 Views)
Hello Chen,
Can you try running a 'Self-Test' on the PXI-5600 device in Measurement and Automation Explorer? Find the device under NI-DAQmx Devices and right click on it and choose Self Test.

Also make sure the cable connecting the PXI 10 MHz OUT connector on the PXI-5600 to the CLK IN connector on the PXI-5142 is connected.

The error you are receiving is essentially telling you that either the digitizer is not being successful in locking its 10 MHz reference to the PXI-5600 reference (via the aforementioned cable), or that one of the PLLs on the PXI-5600 is not locking internally.

Let us know what you find and we can proceed from there.

Regards,
Andy Hinde
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(10,465 Views)
Hi, Andy,

We run the self-test and pass the test. But the error still occurs.

Thank you,
Chen
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(10,457 Views)

Hi, Andy,

We use the test panel of 5660 in MAX to test our GFSK signal, the same error occurs. THe error informatino is:

Error -1074118635 occurred at niRFSA Read Power Spectrum (Cluster).vi

Possible reason(s):
The frequency tuning PLL is not locked.

Device:  RFSA

Status Code: -233532

Thank you,

Chen

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(10,454 Views)
Hi Chen,
Let's check to see if it is your digitizer causing the error. Can you run the attached VI? The VI does an acquisition with just the 5620 digitizer module.

There is an indicator on the front panel showing the 5620 PLL status. The default clock source is the PXI backplane clock. Run the attached VI )set your PXI-5620 device number) and make sure the 5620 can lock to the PXI backplane clock. Then, change the clock source to 'External' to see if it can lock to the front panel REF CLK IN terminal. Make sure this is cabled to the PXI-5600 10 MHz OUT connector.

If the 5620 is not locking to the 5600 10 MHz OUT terminal when you set the clock source to External, then you should check the 5600 10 MHz outputs. You could connect these individually up to the 5620 input and see if you see a 10 MHz signal.

Regards,
Andy Hinde
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(10,437 Views)

Andy,

Our digitizer is 5142. We are using Labview 8.2. Therefore we cannot open the VI you attached in your post.

The scope workes well. We had deveopled several ATE using the scope, and run these ATE every day.

Thank you,

Chen

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(10,416 Views)
Hello Chen,
I understand your scopes are working well individually, but you may not be configuring them to lock to a different 10 MHz reference than the onboard reference. In this case, you would not receive an error if there is something wrong with your digitizer's ability to lock to an external 10 MHz reference.

Are you locking the PXI-5142 to the PXI backplance 10 MHz clock or a 10 MHz signal present on the CLK IN connector? Are you calling the NI-Scope VI to configure this in SW?

I will convert the example to LV 8.2 format. I am also attaching a VI to look at the PXI-5600 PLLs. Run this VI with the PXI-5600 device number present under Traditional NI-DAQ Devices in Measurement and Automation Explorer. Let me know which LEDs light up (or not).

Regards,
Andy Hinde
National Instruments
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(10,393 Views)

Hi, Andy

THe results of runing the VI are attached.

We don't configure the clk of the scope in SW.

Thank you,

Chen

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(10,378 Views)
Hi Chen,
The results of these VIs show that your PXI-5600 and PXI-5142 all have their PLLs working.

What happens when you try to use the PXI-5661 in test panels in Measurement and Automation Explorer? Right clicking on the PXI-5600 should allow you to bring up the 5661 test panels. Can you acquire a spectrum?

The next step may be for me to try and run your code. If you don't want to post it here you can send it to me at andy.hinde@ni.com. I would like to try and reproduce this.

Andy
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(10,368 Views)
Hi, Andy,

As we mentioned in one previous reply, we had run 5661 test panel in MAX and repeat the error (see attachment "5600 test panels.gif")

The error occure after runing ATM for some time from 1 minutes to 10 minutes. I run the VI, "Get 5600 PLL Status.vi", in a loop, and capture the PLL error ( see attachment "Get 5600 PLL status.gif")

Thank you,
Chen
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(10,349 Views)