Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trick to quick selection using quick drop?

I've searched around and haven't been successful yet, but maybe I haven't been searching for the right terms. I was wondering if anyone knows of a quick way to choose a highlighted item on the quick drop menu? I can hit the enter key or click the item with the mouse, but there are downsides to both of those options.

If I have to hit the enter key then I move my left hand from the left most side of the keyboard and this slows me down OR take my hand off the mouse to hit the enter key. With the other option (clicking on the highlighted item with my mouse) I lose my mouse cursor position when I have to move my cursor to the quick drop menu to make the selection.

The only work around that I've been using is keeping my mouse close to my 10-key pad on my keyboard and just hitting the enter key with my thumb while my hand is still on my mouse. This works, but means that I must keep my mouse close (the length of my thumb) to my keyboard which isn't always possible. Does anyone else know of a good way to make that selection quickly without repositioning your hands?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,589 Views)

The best option isn't to click in the quick drop screen.

For example, if you need an element at cursor, open QD and type what you need. When it's highlighted, just click the mouse on the BD/FP where you want the item and it'll appear there. I believe this is called "Super Quick Drop".

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Darren-s-Occasional-Nugget-10-14-2008/td-p/792135

Certified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpgCertified_TestStand_Architect_rgb.jpg

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Bernard Books

Message 2 of 5
(4,336 Views)

Yup I use super quick drop all the time.  The only downside I see is that you can't drop the function on the FP, or BD, if it is behind the quick drop window that appears.  So I usually place my window on the edge of my monitor, so dropping the function on the center (which is where I want it most of the time) is easy.

Message 3 of 5
(4,336 Views)

AWESOME!! I thought I'd tried that before without luck, but maybe not? I did just update my .ini file with the community QD functions so maybe that was it? Not completely sure, but that does the trick. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,336 Views)

Do you use TeamViewer?  Display Fusion?  Or any other program that might modify your title bar buttons?  If so these may disable super quick drop.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Super-Quick-Drop-Fails-Me/m-p/2834182#M828208

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,336 Views)