From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Requested: New Default Object Shortcuts

fairlyFunctional wrote:

Sometimes it's a WAT instead of a WS. For the common ones I've written single-key shortcuts. Anyone else had this trouble? Any appeal for single-key shortcuts?

Oh yeah I've seen this often.  I usually just chalk it up to me being faster than my computer (or rather faster than QD).  So I'll CTRL+Z and try again.  It happens to me a couple times a day. 

As for the single letter shortcut, that is up to you and you can add them.  But as a global setting for all LabVIEW users I'm sure getting an agreement would be difficult.  Should "s" be string length?  String Constant? Empty String?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(938 Views)

I agree with Brian, I figured it would be difficult for us to coalesce around a common item to drop with a single letter. And you are free to modify the shortcuts to be single letter for any objects you wish.

There is one exception, though... I made 'x' be the shortcut for the Multiply function.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(938 Views)

You know what, now that I've slept on it, I think one letter shortcuts could be used for constants.  p - Path, s - String, t - True, f - False, v - Variant, w - Waveform, n - Numeric, d - Double, a - Array, c - Cluster.  I'm not saying it should be this way, but if there were one letter designations I could think of no better things for them to collectively represent then constants.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(938 Views)

Along the lines of constant shortcuts ending in 'c', there seem to be 'loose' rules coalescing out of the list.  For example, all the file I/O shortcuts end in 'f', most of the structure shortcuts end in 's' (should 'evstr' just be 'evs'?).  I can see others that could be added, for example booleans could end in 'b':

ab - And

vb - Or (to follow the 'vae' example)

eb - Exclusinve Or

nb - Not (I realize this isn't fully left handed but I don't think hitting the 'n' key left handed is an unreasonable compromise.)

nab - Nand

nvb - Nor

neb - Not Exclusive Or

Does it make shortcuts easier to remember if there are guidelines or rules to define categories?  It would have to be a short list.  And a loose interpretation because of the shortcuts that don't fit (like 'tsc' which isn't a constant).

(And in my example I'm ignoring the question of whether or not 'ab' is a useful shortcut, I could probably type 'and', even with just my left hand, as fast as remenbering 'ab' is the shortcut.  At least until the muscle memory develops.)

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(938 Views)