From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what software do I need to run a VI on a PXIe-1065?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I want to run a VI on my PXIe-1065.  So far believe I need to install DAQmx and LabVIEW Real-time module on both the host and target. Do I need something else?

Also, is there a way of installing LabVIEW Real-TIme module on the host without CDs? In other words, downloading everything online.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,013 Views)

I forgot to ask... Do I need to install an extra driver to use (or for it to appear in MAX) the connector block SCB-68A with the SHC68-68-EPM cable? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,990 Views)

Hello glovato,

The software you need to install onto your PXIe system is dependent on the type of application you are running, your hardware, and your software. Regardless of your application, you will at least need the NI PXI Platform Services. This driver is most likely already installed on your computer. You can verify if it is installed using NI-MAX and navigating to My System=>Software.

Are you using a PXIe-Controller in your chassis? If so, what operating system is running? You will only need the Real-Time module if you are programming for a RT controller. The real-time module can be downloaded online at the link provided below. Note that the link is for LabVIEW 2014 SP1.

LabVIEW 2014 SP1 Real-Time Module – English:
http://www.ni.com/download/labview-real-time-module-2014-sp1/5172/en/

If your program uses the DAQmx API, then you will also need to install this driver to the development PC and PXIe controller. You may need other drivers as well depending on what other PXIe-cards you are planning to use in your chassis. What other cards are in your chassis?

You do not need to install any drivers to use connector blocks. There I no software running on these devices. All they do is expose the PXIe card pins in an easy to use form factor.

Regards,

j_bou

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,886 Views)

Thank you for your reply j_bou!

I am using the PXIe-8135 controller, currently running the Real-Time module. I have the Run-Time module already installed on the host is that the Real-Time module?

When I try to install it on the host computer using the link you provided at some point it asks me to insert CDs (which I do not have) therefore this module does not show up in MAX under My System (it does appear under the PXIe). I do not know if I have installed the DAQmx drivers correctly on the host because what I have in MAX is: NI-DAQmx ADE Support 14.1, NI-DAQmx Device Driver 14.5.1 and NI-DAQmx MAX Configuration 14.5.1. Also, how do I install DAQmx in the PXIe? I was trying to follow this steps without success: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/79CB44F7E228AED88625756E00445151?OpenDocument

The program I am trying to run consists in acquiring analog data and storing it in a csv file while showing it on the front panel using a waveform chart. I am using the card: PXIe-6341, Xseries.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,879 Views)

Hello glovato,

The real-time module is what you use to develop a program in LabVIEW that is designed to run on a Real-Time Operating System (as opposed to a Windows XP/7 OS). You can verify which operating system is installed on your controller using NI-MAX. If you click on your target under Remote Systems in NI-MAX, the System Settings section (on the right) details the OS running on your controller.

The DAQmx 14.5 driver is the latest version available. Therefore, your development computer is all set. Try following the document below to add the software you need to your controller. Keep in mind that this only applies if your computer is running a Real-Time operating system. If it is just running Windows XP or Windows 7, you will have to install software as you would on any computer running Windows.

How Do I Install Different Versions of Software on My Real-Time Target?:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2BAD2D3A7DE25EB2862576D6007EDB22

Regards,

j_bou

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,845 Views)

Hi j_bou,

The OS running on the PXIe is: NI Real-Time Phar Lap ETS 13.1

Although I have installed DAQmx and the Real-Time module, I don't think they are showing up properly in MAX (please check the screenshots). Maybe that is why I get a deployment error when I try to run any VI on the PXI? 

Thank you for your help!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,835 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author glovato

Hello glovato,

Indeed, the DAQmx driver is not installed on your PXIe controller. When you choose to Add\Remove Software to your PXIe-controller, there should be an option to install "NI-DAQmx 14.5" . If that option is not available, then Real-Time support for DAQmx may not have been installed when you installed the DAQmx driver onto your development computer. As the article below discusses, you can verify if the DAQmx Real-Time images have been installed to your host computer by navigating to the following directory: <root directory>\Program Files\National Instruments\RT Images\NI-DAQmx.

Deploying DAQmx to a Real-Time Controller or PC:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/79CB44F7E228AED88625756E00445151?OpenDocument

If the above folder is empty, then you will have to re-install the DAQmx driver with Real-Time support (as explained in the article above).

Regards,

j_bou

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,813 Views)

It worked!!

Thank you so much j_bou for keeping up with me 🙂

Have a good day

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,801 Views)