From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wats the power consumption of pxi 1069Q

Sir,

Its priya here. I would like to buy some PXI chassises. The major design aspect in my part is to find how much power is being dissipated in a single chassis ( for example say PXI 1069Q). The dissipated power  may cause some thermal load to the environment i. e. bcoz of power dissipation, causes temperature in the surrrounding to increase.

so kindly lemme know how the power is transfered to heat which inturn causes the enviornment (where the chassis is being placed) temperature to increase (explain with formulae).

2) Also kindly tell me total power consumed by a chassis (explain with formulae)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,836 Views)
Hi Priya,

I can help you out only with your second question, so how to determine the Power consumption of a PXI System. You'll get all informations you need in this Tutorial

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Luca
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,826 Views)
Hello. 

The computation required to find the net temperature impact of the chassis on the environment is extremely complex and affected by many things including distance from the chassis, the size of the room, the original temperature of the room, the power consumption of the chassis, the specific heat of the air inside the room, etc.  So, being able to provide you an exact formula will probably not be achievable.  However, we can certainly attack this question from another angle. 

First, the maximum power consumption of the 1062Q chassis is 353.6 Watts of power: 140 Watts for the system slot and 30 Watts apiece for each of the 7 peripheral slots.  However, achieving this type of power consumption is incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to achieve given the different types of PXI modules placing an upper limit of as low as 20 Watts.  However, let's assume that worst case of power consumption. 

From there, we can find that the power supply on the 1062Q is spec'ed to be 70% efficient.  So, the maximum power output from the wall will be 353.6 Watts / .7 = 505 Watts.  Now, assuming that you don't send any of this power through the front panels of the chassis (analog outputs), this is the most heat that will be given off by the chassis.  This is because of the conservation of energy:

power out of the wall - power being sent out of chassis as a signal = power dissipated as heat

For comparison purposes, the little radient heaters provide about 1 kW of energy. 

The keys to remember here are that the fan on the chassis will help disperse the energy and a larger room will render the chassis' effect on the environment to be less.  This is part of the reason why giving the chassis room to breathe is so important.  However, even with all of these worst case scenarios, our chassis are still spec'ed to operate at 55 degrees C so even in extreme heat, the chassis will be just fine. 

Brian F
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,814 Views)