PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vhdci cable mating connector

We plan to use PXI-6723 32-channel AO module in our next project. The datasheet specifies cable 186380-02 SHC68-C68-S, 68 pin VHDCI to 68 pin VHDCI, 2m as the correct cable for the module.

Does Molex part 0737760201 CONN RECEPT .8MM 68POS SMD (DigiKey WM7304-ND) mate with the cable connector? We are designing a custom PWB to go from the PXI module to two 16-module chassis holding 8B modules, so I need mating connectors to get the signals onto the boards. We don't want to create custom cables using the unterminated cables sold by NI.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,198 Views)

Greetings Bill, hopefully http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/52907/en/ will help you better understand the mating connectors found on NI DAQ cables.  That page includes part numbers for 68-pin VHDCI cable connectors and board mount connectors.

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
Product Owner - ni.com Chat
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,044 Views)

Thanks for this info, I will save it locally. However, I must note that it's more than a month since I posted. The design was finished two weeks ago. Fortunately I have a cable in-house, spent half a day or so reverse engineering the jackscrew setup and figuring out how to do it myself with off-the-shelf parts... I spent an hour or so trying to find information on the NI website but never found this page. What could I have done differently?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,014 Views)

Hey Bill, I apologize for the month delay.  I work with our support web content, and was browsing the forum to look for people with similar issues to those that I have been working on addressing when I found your post.  The page I linked you to is one of my early projects that I check in on to continue to improve and make more findable.  For example, one of the big things I found is that people are referencing their cable, accessory or device when searching for connector info, so I recently added this section to help search link those products to this article.

While the ultimate goal is to make this information self-serve so you don't need to contact us, I believe contacting us should have resolved your issue if you were not finding this page.

Currently, we are working on getting this page and similar ones linked into other experiences.  For now, this article would primarily have to be searched on.  I did a few searches based on words you used in this post and found it in the top 10 results, molex cable connector, connector custom pwb, molex .8mm 68pos (note I had to change the autocorrect).  Note that searching external search engines should typically work if you add "National Instruments" to your query when the search terms aren't necessarily NI specific, for example.

This connector information is also contained in some of the User Manuals and Specifications, but the intention of this page was to help consolidate that into 1 place.

However, all of that is somewhat irrelevant if we don't provide it in the way you looked for.  If you want to share more feedback about what you tried, I can take it into consideration as I continue my work.  Feel free to share here, in a private message, or on the feedback thread for that page.

Thanks,

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,010 Views)

This is a good set of information.  But I'm still struggling a bit.   The 6733 calls out it's connector type as:

I/O connector ...................................68-pin male SCSI-II type

But there seems to be no single definition of what that is.  The articles referenced here call out 0.050 D-Type connector.  That is very specific, thanks, but I can't use that to search for cables. They all reference SCSI definitions such as HD68 or similar that are suppose to be SCSI standards. 

I'm trying to find a cable that goes between whatever this connector is to the more common VHCDI 68 pin connector.

Any help is appreciated.

Merlin Test Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,089 Views)

Hi there, we have since added the 67xx Compatibility page if you'd like to find an NI cable to meet your needs for the 6733.

We've also added the cables guide, which further explains our SCSI cables like the ones that will be used on your 6733, and includes links to most dimensional drawings which contain even more specific information.

We've used several terminologies over the years, and are working on aligning it.  68-pin male SCSI-II type is equivalent to 0.050 D-Type connector.

Hopefully, you'll be able to cross-reference that information with the Custom Connectors guide mentioned above if you are trying to make a custom cable or fixture.

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,086 Views)

Thanks Paul,

I agree that 68-pin male SCSI-II type is equivalent to 0.050 D-Type connector.  But that does not help since cable makers don't use that terminology.

I don't believe NI makes a cable I would need which is the 6733 connector to a VHDCI 68 pin connector.  I don't see it in the cable selections.  It's kind of an adapter I guess.

I think this connector is known as  HPHD68 in the SCSI cable world.  I'll let you know if it fits.

Merlin Test Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,079 Views)

Hi, I would reference the vendor info of the connector models on the custom connectors page and dimensional drawings for more information.  We actually sell many VHDCI-SCSI cables, although we typically use them with the VHDCI on the device side and SCSI on the accessory side.  I would encourage you to check out the pinouts and mappings provided on the dimensional drawings to ensure they will work with your application, as I can't recommend a default cable to be used that way.  If you have a support plan, you can also contact an engineer to further discuss.

Paul Davidson
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,076 Views)

Thanks for the link to the cables, that helps a bunch!

Merlin Test Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,071 Views)

Hi

That SHC68-68 cable color and document colors are not matching.

Share that correct document for SHC68-68 cable. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,209 Views)