From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

troubles with PXI NI 8196

Hello. I have a problem with PXI controller NI 8196.
My system is built from the PC connected to the PXI (realtime os) using ethernet.
Recently I started watching on the PC lost connection with PXI (windows message).
How can I find out what accounts for these problems? Is there a PXI system log internal errors similar view of events in  Windows?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,133 Views)

Oleg,

Can you provide a bit more information about the problems:

• When does the PC lose connection to the PXI controller?  
  • Are you running a VI or an EXE?
  • Has the system worked before?  If so, what changed when the controller stopped connecting?

There is an error log you can access from Measurement & Automation Explorer.  To do so, right click on the controller under Remote Systems and select View Error Log.

Finally, can you can use the NI System State Publisher (or a monitor connected to the PXI controller) to see the CPU usage.  If this is hitting 100%, you can lose determinism and network communication can be interrupted.  this would be something to lookout for if you have untimed while loops especially.  The link below explains how to use NI System State Publisher.

http://ae.natinst.com/public.nsf/web/searchinternal/fa5c65ff5645fa5a862575d30029b6e4?OpenDocument

Kind regards,

Drew T.
Camber Ridge, LLC.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,120 Views)

Failures are rare. About once a week in operation, about 4 hours. After rebooting controller - the work continues as usual.
Before this year, more failures were not. At other workplaces with controllers 8175 after 5 years were also marked by similar problems that subsequently resulted in the release of controller failure.

The program runs as a compiled exe to startup in real-time os.

Yes, system worked fine ~1 year.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check it out soon.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,106 Views)