cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

star trigger pxi 1031 DC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello fellow LV Coders,

I have looked everywhere and cannot search the answer for the following question:  How do I access a Star Trigger in a PXI 1031 DC chassis?  I know it has to be through SLOT2. 

I currently have a PXI-8102 micro controller in SLOT1 , a Arbitrary Waveform Generator (AWG) pxi-5422 in SLOT2, and an PXI-7954r FPGA with a ni 5761 digitizer in SLOT4.  I know that to activitate the star trigger, a "Timing and Synchornization" card has to be in SLOT2.  Is there any way that I can use either the microntroller in SLOT1 or the AWG in SLOT2 to access the Star Trigger?  I think the microcontroller will likely not be able to, but what about the AWG?

A follow on questions is the following: Suppose I am able to set up this Star Trigger properly, once the AWG receives the signal to send it's 10usec chirp by having the Star Trigger go HIGH, is there a way to simulatenously set the PFI0 line to HIGH in the AWG and once the 10usec is completely sent to set the PFI0 line to LOW  in the waveform generator for the next 90 usec? This would be repeated indefinately and the PFI0 line is being used to control a switch via a cable.  Also, this PFI0 line of the AWG will always be set to "output mode."

Thanks a ton in advance.  If I find the answer elsewhere I will make sure to update it here.

-Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,156 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Denn_Mann

The following link "What Sig. speeds do my PXI chassis Trigger Lines Support" really helped me understand how the triggers are connected in the backplane of the PXI chassis.  For my purposes, I need my trigger to arrive at the destinantion within 1 usec and so the PXI Trig. Bus can accomplish this.  No need to worry about the star trigger for my application.  Thanks for looking!

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/892204272FF2C0BE862575C500636AF6?OpenDocument

-Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,153 Views)