PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

srtsp64.sys/MXI BSOD

Solved!
Go to solution

The crashes only occur after the computer has been on for a while. I'll try powering up in this sequence today and see if it helps.

Thanks!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(2,543 Views)

Ben,

This is kind of a obvious statement, but crashes and hangs can be either hardware or software.  If it's software then analyzing crash dumps is more likely helpful.  If it's hardware then the crash may not be related to what's running, so crash dumps are inconclusive or point to various things, usually whatever's using a lot of CPU.  I'll ask some questions assuming it's hardware, which may be a bad assumption.

Have you tried running a memory test?  I've had a couple sticks stop working lately and it results in these odd crashes and hangs.  Memtest is pretty good at finding them.  You have a system that supports ECC RAM, but I don't know if that's what you have installed.  And I don't know how to get status to see whether errors are occuring and (mostly) being corrected.  I'd try this first.

Can you run a subset of the hardware?  Ideally you could run with half the hardware installed, then switch to the other half.  That could narrow it down.  The problem could also be a bad chassis power supply, bad cable, or many other things.

Powering up the way you are usually works.  The failure you'd probably see if it didn't work was boards showing up in device manager with some sort of "not enough resources" message, or bridges with that sort of message and boards missing altogether.  Configuration problems, in other words, not run-time problems.

The [0,3E] limitation of the system is pretty common, unfortunately.  That limits how many devices will show up, so the symptom would be boards not showing up in device manager and MAX.  Not a crash/hang.  So not relevant to this problem, but don't try more than 1 chassis or it won't work.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(2,536 Views)

Hi Robert,

I have tried running memory test, it passed 100%. I may run it again. The lockup feels like bad RAM. But all the minidumps point to srtsp64.sys, which is why I've been suspicious. I'd be more inclined to think it's HW if the drivers implicated were more random.

Here's info on the RAM:

BankLabel Capacity Caption CreationClassName DataWidth Description DeviceLocator FormFactor HotSwappable InstallDate InterleaveDataDepth InterleavePosition Manufacturer MemoryType Model Name OtherIdentifyingInfo PartNumber PositionInRow PoweredOn Removable Replaceable SerialNumber SKU Speed Status Tag TotalWidth TypeDetail Version
  8589934592 Physical Memory Win32_PhysicalMemory 64 Physical Memory DIMM1 8 2 1 Samsung 0 Physical Memory M391B1G73BH0-YK0 1 359B617D 1600 Physical Memory 1 72 128          
  8589934592 Physical Memory Win32_PhysicalMemory 64 Physical Memory DIMM2 8 2 2 Samsung 0 Physical Memory M391B1G73BH0-YK0 1 359B62BD 1600 Physical Memory 3 72 128          

I'll try your seperating HW approach. I'll start by just disconnecting the chassis from the computer. If the crashes stop, we'll know it's due to the chassis connection. Otherwise, I'll debug the computer.

Thanks for the help!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(2,529 Views)

Hi all,

I disconnected the chassis and the computer still locked up when I left it running overnight, so the issue is probably not due to the PXI chassis. Any idea where to go next to diagnose this? The BSOD/lockups only started after I installed the software and hardware for the PXI chassis. Maybe next I could run it without the MXI card installed?

Regards,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(2,500 Views)

Have you tried reinstalling/repairing your drivers?  A BSOD is likely caused by corrupt drivers rather than software.  I know this is a basic "catch-all" but it is worth trying before tearing your setup apart.

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(2,488 Views)

Hi Mada,

I will try that. Do you know what drivers to suspect for PXI systems?

I isolated the issue to the MXI card/graphics card. When I removed the fiber optic cable that connects the PC (via MXI card) to the chassis, the lockups still occured. Then I removed the MXI card altogether and moved the graphics card to the slot it was in. No more lockups. Note that I moved the graphics card to another PCIe slot because the graphics card can run on PCIe x4, while the MXI card requires x8. There is only one PCIe x16 slot and one PCIe x4 slot in the system, which is why I had to move the graphics card from the x16 slot. I'll next try moving the PCIe card to the x4 slot so the only change is no MXI card.

I haven't been able to get onboard graphics working yet. Here's a link to the computer's info from Dell: http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/shared-content~data-sheets~en/documents~dell_precision_t1650_spec...

Let me know any suggestions.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(2,482 Views)

Ben,

I am glad that we have narrowed down the potential culprit.  I will be interested to see how keeping the graphics card in the new slot (after moving it for MXI) and the MXI card removed will make your computer behave.  If no lock-ups, it will be safer to assume that there is issue specifically with the MXI card.

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(2,477 Views)

Yes, I'll get back to you when I have a conclusion. I noticed in the BIOS options  that I can boot using either UEFI or Legacy modes. Currently I'm using the default Legacy mode. Should I change it to UEFI?

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(2,468 Views)

It won't hurt to try and boot in UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface).  This is meant to replace and extend the capabilities of the BIOS standard.  The "legacy" option is meant to allow for backwards compatibility.  I am looking into any know conflicts, but I believe you should be fine by trying to boot in either mode for now (if you have not already done so).  I will do my best to research the topic a little better before I commit to that answer.

Let me know how it goes!

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(2,464 Views)

Ben,

I hope you have been able to make headway.  I found a useful link that addresses the BIOS compatibility and MXIe systems.  See if this might help:

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//PXI/MXIe%20Compatibility%20Software/1.5.0/readme.html

Be sure to follow instructions carefully and this might be helpful.  Let me know how it turns out and we'll go from there.  The link for download is in the following post (Page 3 of the thread).

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(2,454 Views)