From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi connection

I have a system comprized of a PXI 1031 chaisis with a Pxi 8184 running windows XP and labview 8.5 Full development , and 2 Pxi 7340 motion controllers
a network analyzer, vicon motion system ,and a radar gating system
All are networked together to a host computer that will drive the motors to a set point then control the radar and network analyzer to get data.
how do i setup my pxi so that i can control the motion card fron a labview program running on the host computer. the pxi system doesn't show up in max on the host but i can see and acess the system from "my network", all Ip's have been set to fixed values and am using 255.255.255.0 as the gateway.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,964 Views)
P.S
both systems are running labview Pro development 8.5 not the full version that i stated above

charlie
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,949 Views)

Hi Charlie,

You will need a MXI connection between the chassis and the host computer in order to control the motion cards from the host computer.  National Instruments offers PXI Remote Controllers for applications like yours.  I would highly recommend contacting National Instruments using the "Contact Us" information on the product pages before purchasing a remote controller.  Please note that there are some MXI compatibility issues with certain PCs, so you may request a visit from your local field sales engineer, who can help you test a remote controller with your PC before you purchase the controller.  Here is a list of recommended PCs and PCs that have known compatibility issues: What Desktop Computers Have Been Tested with NI's MXI-Express for PXI and PXI Express?

Please let me know if you have any questions about the PXI remote controllers.

Regards,

Rima

Rima H.
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,942 Views)
can this controler be converted to a duel boot to allow Real time operation? if so would i be able to MAX it as a remote system to the host computer and controll the motion cards?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,936 Views)

Hi Charlie,

Yes, if you convert the controller to dual-boot, then you will be able to target the PXI controller from the host PC.  Here is a document that describes how to convert to a dual-boot system: Dual-Booting Windows XP and LabVIEW RT on a PXI Controller.

In order to do this, you will need a LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for NI PXI Controllers.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Regards,

Rima

Rima H.
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,931 Views)

Hi Charlie,

Here is the correct link to the KnowledgeBase document for setting up a dual-boot system: Dual-Booting Windows XP and LabVIEW RT on a PXI Controller.

Regards,

Rima

Rima H.
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,909 Views)