PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi automotive "analog in"

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to move our company's automotive testing into the 21st century - away from a mess of Measurement Computing and Dataforth modules and into NI PXI system. 

Has anyone used PXI to read in 12 to 16 volts signals?  At the moment, I can only find analog-input modules with +/- 10 volt range.  Am I stuck running test signals into Dataforth modules to step-down into +/- 10 volt level?

How critical is the controller?  Can I use a NI PXIe-1073 Chassis with PCI Express Controller and (3m) Cable for 1 millisecond resolution for data collection and control?

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,322 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mysticfree

Hello Ron,

There are several modules that will fit your needs. Please review the link below. Several of the modules will work for your application. Since you only need to measure voltage between the 12V to 16V range, you only need a range of negative 2 Volts to positive 2V range. The spec sheets will give you the absolute range you can operate the device within.  

http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/daq/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n17:daq,n21:41,n36:19,n24:PXI-FSLASH-... 

The controller is not critical for data collection and control for your scenario. For your application, the module and the chassis will be the critical components.  

I recommend contacting the NI sales department to get some great recommendations if you have any additional questions.  

I hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,300 Views)

Hi RZag,

I should have been more specific with the voltage range.  The signals are 0 to 16 volt waveforms.  The analog input modules that I found only have -10 to +10 volt limitation. 

I assume there are automotive systems using NI equipment, so I'm wondering what NI PXI devices they use to make measurements.  Or, is there a complete different arrangement for this industry?

After posting my initial message, NI has gotten in contact with me. 

And so the adventure continues...

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,286 Views)

Hello Ron,

Thank you for your response. The modules for your application will still work if you are measuring analog input voltages between 0V and 16V. The -10V to +10V refers to the voltage range from your voltage reference. If you set your voltage reference at 10V, you can measure voltages from 0V to 20V. Please verify the analog overvoltage protection is within -16V and +16V.

If someone from sales has contacted you already, they may be a great resource to ask about best practices in the automotive industry.

Best Regards,

Richard

Message 4 of 6
(4,278 Views)
Message 5 of 6
(3,983 Views)

Hello Rg,

I just received my PXI system yesterday.  It has a PXI-4304, which covers +/- 42 volts.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,978 Views)