PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi 8360 link light not on

Hello,

I am very new to the NI forum and the PXI. So please forgive me if my question is too trivial.

I have PXI 4461 seated in a PXI 1031 chasiss. There is a PXI 8360 interface card on the chasiss which is connect to the PCIe 8361 card on my PC. I thought it should be just a matter of connecting devices, hower, the link light is not on when I turn on the power of the PC and the chasiss. Except checking connections, do you think is there anything else I can check to understand the problem?

Thanks in advance!

H.W.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,292 Views)

Welcome to the forum! To get faster support, it's typically a good idea to answer some preliminary questions that you think others might ask - things like computer specs, driver versions, etc. 

Have you turned the equipment on in the correct order? The PXI chassis gets powered on first, then the computer.

What operating system are you running on the host computer (including service packs and 32/64-bit)? 

Do you have the PXI Platform Services driver installed?

Nathan Murphy
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,266 Views)

Hi Nathan,

Thanks a lot for your rely! I realize my PC has a 64-bit windows-7 OS. The platform services I installed was not working for this one. Is that true for a 64-bit windows-7 OS, I need to go back to version 2.6.3?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,245 Views)

Anything after version 2.5.3 is compatible with Windows 7 x64.

Has this system ever worked correctly, or is this the first time you are setting it up?

Again, please verify that you are powering the system on in the correct order: chassis first, then computer. 

Nathan Murphy
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,228 Views)

Hi Nathan,

Yes, the power was turned on in the correct order. I have updated the software to 4.0.1. The link light still doesn't turn on.

Do you know if there is any way to check if the PCIe card was properly installed?

Thanks again!

HW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,216 Views)

Has this system ever worked in this computer, or is this the first time that you are setting it up?

The best way to check if the card is functioning correctly is to look for it in Windows Device Manager. If you're on Windows 7, you can open the start menu and type "Device Manager" into the search bar and you should be able to locate it.  The entry in device manager should be PCI to PCI bridge, or something similar. 

Please see this KnowledgeBase article for more information on using the Windows Device Manager to view the status of your card. 

Nathan Murphy
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,199 Views)

Hi Nathan,

It is the first time we use this computer to connect to the system. In fact, we used pxi 8331 and its PCI card on an older machine in the past. There was no problem. We moved to a new PC and upgraded to the PXI 8360 and PCIe 8361.

I checked the device manager and didn't  see any PCI to PCI bridge. This looked like the card wasn't properly installed. But I have checked many times that the PCIe card is well connected.

I have also gone through the link you posted, but there is no problem like mine that was mentioned.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,186 Views)

Hi Nathan,

I managed to make the link light on by rotating the connector by 180 degrees.

Thanks for your assistance!

HW

Message 8 of 8
(6,181 Views)