PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi 1033 with expresscard 8360

Hello,

I have a PXI 1033 Chassis with ExpressCard 8360. I connect it to laptop using ExpressCard.

I want to connect it to PC desktop. Would you please tell me how can I connect. What kind of board i need to connect ExpressCard to PC desktop.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,907 Views)

I also have a similar question please. I am new here.  I want to connect the PXI 8360 via an expresscard to my PC which does not have a port for Expresscard. Got an expresscard to USB adapter. This one: http://www.misco.co.uk/product/OB153767/Startech-USB-to-Express-Card-Adapter-OPEN-BOX-BOX-AND-PRODUC..., but my PC does not recognise anything. Any help please?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,899 Views)

There are 2 options for using your PXI 1033 with a desktop.  You can buy an NI PCIe-8361 to go in your desktop, then switch the cable between your desktop (with the NI PCIe-8361) and your laptop (with the ExpressCard-8360).  Or you can buy an ExpressCard adapter for your computer.

If you go the adapter route, you need to get one that plugs into a PCIe slot.  ExpressCard supports 2 interfaces: PCIe and USB.  On a "real" ExpressCard slot, both interfaces are available on the connector.  Some adapters plug into USB and only provide the USB interface, which works fine for ExpressCards that use the USB interface.  Some adapters plug into a PCIe slot and have a cable that plugs into a USB header on the motherboard, so it can support both interfaces (PCIe and USB).

The ExpressCard-8360 uses PCIe, so any adapter that connects via USB simply won't work.  Also note that the card retention isn't very good, and the slot won't support hot-plug like a native ExpressCard port.

- Robert

Message 3 of 5
(5,897 Views)

Is there any alternative to the express card on a laptop? Most new ones don't have the option of including it unless you buy a monster one.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,879 Views)

The Express Cards are the only cards compatible with laptops. 

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,860 Views)