PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem reinstalling LV 7.1.1 RT on PXI-8195

Good Morning All,
    I've been fighting a problem here where I can't seem to reinstall LabVIEW 7.1.1 RT on to a PXI-8195 controller. It was originally on there but after being directed by NI support to do a disk format through MAX I haven't found a way to get back to that point. The "target system" (PXI-8195) boots into safe mode (the dip switches are set to normal boot, as is the BIOS) and MAX sees it. When, in MAX, do an "install software" under the target's software selection, MAX presents me with a list of drivers it wants to download, but not LabVIEW RT. If a download of the drivers is attempted MAX protests that they are dependent on LabVIEW 7.1. I've removed and reinstalled LabVIEW 7.1 on the host computer, performed the 7.1.1 update and mass complied the LabVIEW directory. The NI AE tells me that the files listed under the "RT Images" are correct, but even after updating to MAX 4.0 this morning (at NI's suggestion) MAX still doesn't see LabVIEW as an option to install on the PXI-8195.

Help me Obi Wan, you're my (mostly) only hope!
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,123 Views)

Hi Putnam,

The reason you may not be seeing Real-Time 7.1.1 as available to install is because the target software for the PXI-8196 is not installed with the LabVIEW Real-Time 7.1 Module.  This is  because the controller was released after the LabVIEW Real-Time Module was released. As a result, the LabVIEW RT software will show up as "Not Present" on the local host in MAX until the target software is installed on the host PC.

The LabVIEW Real-Time Target software is available on a CD and the current version should allow you to install support for LabVIEW RT 7.1, independent of the LabVIEW Real-Time Module. The files included on the software CD include the LabVIEW Real-Time run-time engine and necessary support files for each LabVIEW Real-Time target.

Install the software from the LabVIEW Real-Time Embedded Software CD onto the host PC. You should then see that LabVIEW RT is installed on the local host.

Hope that helps,

Steven B.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,110 Views)
I have a very similar problem with a PXI-8184. I unfortunately formated the hard drive of the controller, and now it boots only on safe mode (out of the rom).
After formating the hard drive, there is no boot sector on the hard drive.
There is an utility on MAX (Tools/RT disk utilities/Create PXI format hard drive disk) to create a bootable floppy disk that would format the HDD and create a boot sector. Then you would be able to install the LV RT from MAX ... I hope because that bootable floppy disk doesn't work well with my USB floppy drive.  It loads the ETS, trasnfer the control to the program and then doesn't recognize the floppy drive. I think this floppy disk is only usable with a very rare parallel floppy drive with a special connector available from NI.

Other solution is to go with an usb CD ROM and a floppy drive to boot on MSDOS and use the CD recovery that was shipped with the PXI.
That's where I am stack because my PXI wasn't shipped with that CD recovery.

Cyrille
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,086 Views)