PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

niFgen_init returning error code -1074134994

I am calling niFgen_init to attach to a PXI-5412. If the PXI chassis is OFF, niFgen_init returns the error code -1074134994. Subsequently calling niFgen_GetError returns the same number as the size of the error string.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,936 Views)
Hello Charles,

Can you clarify what you are trying to do a little more?  If your PXI chassis containing the 5412 is turned off there will be no way to communicate with the board and the init call will return an error.  If you are using windows verify that your board is showing up in device manager and in MAX and that running the self test from MAX passes.

Regards,

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,933 Views)
For now, all I want to do is connect to the 5412. If the PXI chassis is off, I want an error message telling the user that the 5412 could not be found. If the PXI chassis is on, the code should continue on to the code that sets up the 5412.

Since I sent the first email, I have also tested the code with the PXI chassis turned on, and I get the same message. I also have run the example program BasicArbitraryWaveform.c and get the same result.

The 5412 shows up in NI MAX, passes the self test, and I can operate it using the test panel.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,931 Views)
If the device is working properly in the test panel then at least we know the problem is not with the board.  It sounds like the problem might be with the handle you are sending to the init function.  Have you considered using the NI-Modinst functions to detect the boards in your system and get the handle to the board or are you hard coding a handle?

Here is a link to the NI-Modinst function call for listing boards found in the system:

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,927 Views)
Matt,

Adding the niModInst call before calling niFgen_init made niFgen_init work as expected. If the PXI bus in on, niFgen_init finds the 5412, otherwise it returns a "device not found" error.

I think the documentation and examples for niFgen need to be updated. Of course, I understand VC/C++ is not the most popular platform for your hardware.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,925 Views)

I'm trying to simulate a NI-5421 on my system. I get the same error code (-1074134994). Reading the previous post in this thread, I wonder if I'm required to have a NI-5421 installed on my system to simulate it? If so, what drivers are required to be installed?

regards
Fred

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,658 Views)

Hi Fred,

You should not need the card in the chassis. If you are using niFgen_InitWithOptions, you can set the attribute for Simulate to true (see image attached). What version of fgen do you have? If you can provide a snippet of code, this may allow me to further help. Lastly, do you have the devices already and is there any specific reason that you are simulating the devices?

David L.
Systems Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,638 Views)