PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to install a pci-6030e in a pxie-8102 chassis

I removed a PXI-6030E multifunction IO card from a PXI-1010 chassis, which is installed in a SCXI backplane.  I can now see the device in Devices and Interfaces under the PCIe-8102 chassis, but it only lets me use a visa test panel.  I have no idea how to use the visa test panel and none of the options make sense.  From everything I've read, I should be able to use this device through DaqMX, but when I try to add a new DaqMX device, and select new analog voltage input -- or any input for that matter -- it says no supported devices found.  I'm totally lost, but i know on the old PXI box it was able to show up through DawMX, but I think that was because it was on the SCXI backplane.  I don't understand what's going on, but surely this isn't NI trying to force me to use SCXI is it?? I'm trying to resurrect this PXI card because i need to make some simple analog measurements and it seems a shame to replace it considering all the money i spent on it before.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,641 Views)

I managed to get DaqMX working; I just needed to upgrade to v9.8.  I'm surprised that a device from 2005 wouldn't work with v9.1 which isn't that old, but it does work with the newer version, but I digress.

I can now run test panels on the device, but it doesn't appear to be physically working.  There are dedicated +5V outputs, but when I hook a DMM to those pins i get nothing.  All my analog inputs show a solid (i'm guessing saturated) -10Vdc, and all of my digital inputs show the inputs as high.  The device was definitely working in the other chassis the last time I managed to run it, and i can't see any reason why the hardware would have suddently gone bad...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,635 Views)

HI David,

The behavior that you are seeing is definitely odd. When you are measuring the dedicated 5V output with your DMM what ground are you referencing? After you click Run on the Test Panel when measuring an AI channel you see a constant 10V, correct? Which pins is your input signal connected to when running this test?

Finally, what is the other chassis that you have which was working?

Brian H. -- Electronics & Measurements Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,623 Views)

Brian,

Thanks for getting back with me.  I actually did find the problem and didn't get a chance to post whawt I foun right away.  I'm embarassed to say the the culprit was human error:  I've been testing the I/O by probing into the end of a F-F cable plugged into the front connector, and while the datasheet gives the pinout of the front connector, I failed to realize that looking at the end of the cable the pinout is actually the "mirrored" version of what the pinout shows; so I was probing looking at the connector upside down.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,618 Views)