From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert PXIe-8135 controller to dual-boot Windows 7 and LabVIEW RT

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello. I have a PXIe-8135 controller that originally was just running Windows 7. We are trying to convert it to a dual boot system to also run LabView Real Time. (There is host computer that will run LabVIEW 2014 with the RT module, and the controller will become a target).

I have created a FAT32 partition on the hard drive of the controller. Now, I’m trying to install the real-time OS with a USB flash drive made using the MAX utility, but I cannot boot using the USB drive for some reason. I keep getting the message “waiting for USB device to initialize”.  

In BIOS, legacy USB support is [ENABLED] and boot configuration is set to [Windows/other OS]. I’ve tried removing the drive, waiting, and reinserting. I’ve tried two different USB drives (both 8 GB, different brands).

I’m not sure what to do next. Apart from the USB boot issue, is converting the PXIe-8135 even possible?  I read about SATA/PATA hard drive issues with older controllers, but I don't know about this one.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

-Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,417 Views)

Hello Jeff,

You are right, dual-booting Windows 7 and LabVIEW RT on a PXIe-8135 is a supported configuration. Did you follow the steps in this KB about dual-booting Windows and LabVIEW RT on a PXI controller?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/DD1B72485DA949158625784F005DCEF6

Also, do you have an RT deployment license for this controller?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,388 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JeffENG

Per Siana's licensing comment, more information on purchasing a deployment license if you do not have one for this target can be found here.

The RT Utility USB key is used to set up non-NI hardware with LabVIEW Real-Time, but you should not need it in this situation to convert to dual-boot (*). Try this:

1. Since you already have a FAT32 partion created, go into BIOS setup and change to booting 'LabVIEW RT'.

2. The system will attempt to boot LabVIEW RT, see that the partition is empty, and switch over into LabVIEW RT Safe Mode. (this safemode is built into the firmware, which is why you don't really need the USB key).

3. The system should come up correctly and be detectable from MAX, and you can proceed with installing software.

4. To switch back to Windows, go back to BIOS setup and choose 'Windows/Other OS'

(*) One area where the USB key is helpful on a dual boot system is with formatting the disk. If you want to convert from FAT32 to Reliance on the partition designated for LabVIEW RT, the USB key lets you attempt to format a single parition and leave the rest of the disk untouched. If you format from MAX, the standard behavior is to format only one RT partition if found, but if not found, it will format the entire disk.  Formatting from MAX on a dual boot system is consequently riskier and you could lose your Windows partition.

Message 3 of 6
(6,377 Views)

Yes, I've been told that we have all the necessary licenses.  I'll double check on the deployment one, though.  I finally had success just installing over an ethernet connection, like Josh suggested.  Still not sure why the USB drive never worked, but I'll move on for now.  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,372 Views)

Glad to help. Regarding USB booting if you do come back to that at some point, a couple of things to try:

1. Try using the dedicated USB 2.0 ports if you've been using the USB 3.0 ports.

2. USB drives are surprisingly non-standard under the hood, and BIOSs are forced to "guess" what type of device to emulate, be it a hard disk, floppy, CD-ROM, etc.  Sometimes that guess is not optimal for the OS that is trying to boot from the USB key. Try changing the following setting: BIOS Setup Menu > Advanced > USB Configuration > [your device] > Emulation Type.  You can override the BIOSs default choice for emulation type to see if one works better than another.  I suggest trying 'Hard Disk' and 'Floppy'.

'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,355 Views)

Hi
I have the same problem. I have a new hard drive formatted with two partitions. 
I created a primary FAT32 partition (lower than 30 GB) (which will be used for the Real-Time OS) followed by a second primary NTFS partition (which will be used for Windows), 
I would like the option of running Windows 7 and RT.

I can load Windows 7 and run no problem.

2.jpg

But when I select RT boot from the BIOS Boot menu. 

In-display can see:

"LabVIEW Real-Time Single-Core Kernel found '4' CPU cores.

Consider installing NI RT Extensions for SMP (MultiCore Support) module from MAX."

3.jpg
Also in NI-MAX, it shows the primary disk capacity unavailable and  I can not install any software.

1.PNG
I also switch over into LabVIEW RT Safe Mode, but I can not proceed with installing the software. you can see the following error:

4.PNG

Please help me. tnx
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,268 Views)