From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to PXI 8106

Hello

I am trying to connect to a PXI 8106 via a laptop through measurement and automation explorer. I have successfully connected to a desktop machine, without any problem. However the Laptop does not pick up any remote machines within the measuerment and automation window. I have re-installed all the software and the drivers to make sure that everything was as it should be but i still can't pick up the PXI machine.

Any help

Thanks
MAC_D
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,691 Views)

Hi,

There are a few things that may be causing this to not pick up, firstly does the PXI by default have a Static IP address associated with it? If so you will have to be within the same subnet and IP address range. Secondly are you connecting directly or through a switch, if it's direct please ensure you have a crossover cable or your PC can auto switch to crossover state.

If these are all correct then try rebooting the PXI with the PC plugged into it (ensuring the PC is set to find its IP address via DHCP) and see if MAX can then discover it.

All the best,

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,678 Views)

Rob thanks for your reply.

My issue is the following i have only one network port. If i plug the PXI controller in to this and reboot an IP address is asigned, if i then disconnect from the network and connect to my PC then MAX can pick it up, however if i restart or reboot  the controller in this mode the IP address is not stored.

My real problem is that the controller will be operated remotely with a laptop and no access to any network, for controller or laptop, so i need the PC and the controller to be able to link up without any network present, can this be done?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,674 Views)
Hi,

This is do-able with a PXI system, a few extra steps are required however. Firstly your PXI will require a static IP address (as no network device is giving it an IP address) and then also place your laptop into the same subnet and IP address range. Link these together with a crossover ethernet cable (or straight through if your laptop supports autoswitching - most new Dell laptops do) and your device should appear under MAX.

All the best,
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,672 Views)
Thanks again Rob

How do i generate a static IP address on the controller?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,670 Views)
Hi,

Under Real-Time just booting the system into RT Safe-Mode and setting it in MAX will let you change it from 0.0.0.0 to the IP you require and then rebooting back to RT. You can do this from BIOS by hitting "del" on boot and setting RT Safemode under the boot options.

No problems at all, if you come across any issues please let me know,

All the best,
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,668 Views)