From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a PXI Express setup replace my FW-7344 and DAQcard-6036E?

Product Support,

I have recently been using a FW-7344 motion controller to drive an experiment. Unfortunately my FW-7344 has malfunctioned and my supervisor has asked me to research other options to have it replaced. I am looking at building a PXI Express chassis setup. What would it take to build a compatible PXI machine? Before I was using a DAQcard-6036 to interface with a laptop that it is running our labview software. It would need to be compatible with our software.

The other option I am considering is using a PC and buying a PCI-7344 and a little PCI card reader for my PCMCIA DAQcard-6036. I figure this is a much cheaper configuration. But money is not as much of an issue as much as functionality and efficiency.

Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Scott
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,010 Views)

Hi Scott,

There is not a PXI Express version of the NI 7344 motion controller. So, you would have to go with a PXI or PCI bus architecture. If you decided to go with PXI, you would need either an embedded controller, such as PXI-8105, or a remote controller, such as MXI-4 kit. With an embedded controller, the PXI chassis would be stand-alone; the operating system would be within the chassis on the embedded controller. With MXI-4, you will need another computer, but the PXI modules will be attached by a PCI-PCI bridge (the MXI-4 kit) to the other computer. Another option would be the PXI-1033, which gives you both the controller and the chassis; but you would still need another computer to connect this chassis to. You would probably need a different DAQ card if you went with PXI, one in the PXI form factor. The PCI cards and computer option for the two cards might be a better solution for you. PXI would be a better option if you were considering other hardware as well. You may want to speak to your sales representative or your field sales engineer for more information. I hope this helps!

Regards,

Missy S.
Project Engineer
RoviSys
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,982 Views)
Thank you for your feedback. Ok, so I am building a system using an embedded PXI controller. It needs to run a 2 axis motion controller (7342) and a 16bit 4 channel DAQcard. How much CPU power do you recommend? The Core duo might be overkill. Were trying to save some money if possible.

Thank you,
Scott
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,977 Views)
Good morning Scott,

I would say that the dual core embedded PXI controllers would be overkill for this particular application.  Any one of our PXI controllers should be able to provide ample processing power for the combination of a motion and DAQ card.

I hope that helps!

Respectfully,
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,959 Views)