From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my computer freeze when I boot up connected to my PXI chassis?

I'm running a PXI-1045 chassis through a Windows XP box via MXI-4. Everything was working fine but now the computer freezes while booting up if connected to the chassis (otherwise boots up ok). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,305 Views)
Hello Stuartl,

Have you seen this knowledgebase:  What PCx Have Been Tested with National Instruments PXI MXI Products?   I need a little more information to go off of to be able to help you further with this issue.  Are you making sure to turn the PXI chassis on before you boot the computer?  What kind of motherboard is on your computer?  When is the computer freezing?  How long had it been working before you had this problem?  What changed when the computer started freezing?  Are you able to connect the PXI to another computer and does that work? 

Thanks!

Meghan
Applications Engineer
Message 2 of 7
(4,282 Views)
Hello Meghan,

Thanks for the response. In answer to your questions, yes, I do turn on the PXI before booting up. I couldn't find out exactly what type of motherboard is on the computer - it's a Dell XPS 400, and apparently their motherboards are Dell-specific. But I haven't changed it, so the fact that it worked before makes me think that this isn't the problem. The computer freezes within about a minute of booting up, whether I log in or not. It was working for about 6 months until now - I can't think of any changes I made that would have affected it - I did run a system restore to a check point a month back (when it was working), but still no luck. But I stuck the MXI card in another computer and it seemed to work fine, so I'm a bit confused. Would you recommend maybe I contact Microsoft about this?

Thanks again,
Stuart
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,278 Views)
Hello Stuart,

Is the computer that you were able to get working with the chassis the same OS and same type as the original computer?

Meghan
Applications Engineering
Message 4 of 7
(4,265 Views)
Hello Meghan,

Both computers are running Windows XP SP2, but on the not-working one is Media Center, whereas the working one is XP Professional. The latter computer is an older model Dell Inspiron 4400 (Pentium 4 rather than Pentium D in the not-working one). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Stuart
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,262 Views)
Hello Stuart,

Do you have the latest verion of the BIOS on the computer that is freezing?  If not, you can update your Dell computer from the Dell FTP Site.  Before you run any BIOS updates, contact Dell to assure you are using the correct BIOS for your computer.   You had said you did a system restore, what did that system restore do?  Did it possibly change the BIOS?  If so, you may be seeing the issues noted in the knowledgebase I posted previously.

Thanks,

Meghan
Applications Engineer
Message 6 of 7
(4,251 Views)
Hi Meghan,

Uh, I just found out it was a hardware problem with one of the cards in the chassis - when I tested on the other computer I only configured the first few cards, so missed this one... Very sorry - I should have been more careful. I'll contact the local NI guy about getting this fixed up.
Thanks for all your patience and help,

Stuart
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,247 Views)