PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the easiest way to add USB ports to a PXI

I did a quick search and didn't find any PXI cards with USB ports. I have an old PXI-8176 and I'd like to add a few more ports to it. Without a hub, what's the easiest way to do this.
CLED (2016)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,535 Views)

Hello,

There is not a way to add extra USB ports to a PXI-8176 without using a hub. The only option you have is to try and find a third-party PXI module that has USB ports. I've looked online and all I can find is a third-party PXI controller with 6 USB ports. It is called the "Cool One" by General Micro Systems INC.

Thank you

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 2 of 3
(5,527 Views)

As PXI is built upon the CompactPCI standard, you can use compactPCI boards in a PXI chassis.

A quick google search of "compact pci usb" yielded the following:

EKF CompactPCI USB Controller

CompactPCI USB Host Controller Index. ... HTML documents available here. CB2- PIPE CompactPCI 5-Port USB 2.0 Host Controller. USB Controllers from EKF ...
www.ekf.de/c/cusb/cusb.html - 7k - 

The UH101 USB Host Controller is a compact PCI module providing USB peripheral connectivity to a host computer module on four front panel connectors.
www.acquitek.com/uh101/cpci-usb-host-controller.html - 29k - 

I have not used these boards and can not guarantee their quality, but this should help get you pointed in the right direction. 

Regards,

Matt F

Message 3 of 3
(5,475 Views)