PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to test PC busses (ISA, EISA, PCI, etc)

I want to test the comm on a PC card using NI products. Busses include ISA, EISA, PCI, etc. Any suggestions on how to get started?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,235 Views)

Hi,

I think you have to tell a bit more on what you want to test.  Smiley Surprised

In your title I read that you want to test a PC bus (just a backplane or ??) and in your message I read that you want to test the communication with a PC card on several busses.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,229 Views)
Thanks for the reply. I test/repair industrial electronic circuit boards. Currently I am working on a board that has an EISA edge connector (male side, so it fits into the motherboard). I would like to test this board from the edge connector to make sure that it is functional. Normally, I could power up the board on the bench and using basic tools (o-scope, etc) I might see some signals, but I would like to achieve a much higher degree of testing. Since this is a common bus, I was hoping that I could use some type of NI ATE to develop a program that tests this bus. If I could test EISA, then I could probably find a way to test the other cards that fit into pc motherboards.  
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,210 Views)

OK that is clear, you want to test daughter boards.

Most of the time the testing is not the problem but the faultfinding is.

If you want to test a PC board you can power it up like you said and see if it is running. Perhaps the board has a BIST which can tell you about the internal status of the board.

To test the bus you could use a digital I/O board. For ISA I know this can work but for EISA and PCI I am not sure if this is possible because the digital I/O is slow compared to the timing of the bus.

But even if it is possible you should always test the board in a PC to be sure it is also working on full speed.

I think it is easier to test those boards with a PC and make your own test programs running in a DOS environment. That is what I did 20 years ago.

I don't think there is a ready to use test setup for daughter boards for these buses.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,198 Views)