PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing PXI-8119 Controller from my Windows XP Dev Computer via MAX

Hi All

Should I be able to do this?

The PXI-8119 Controller is running WIndows 7 Professional SP1.

My development computer is a desktop PC running WIndows XP SP3 with LabVIEW 2012 SP1 installed. NI-Support advised me that I should update the DAQmx and VISA drivers, which I have done, but I still do not see it.

I can ping the PXI-8119 Controller. It is definitely on the same subnet as myself. Both computer firewalls (we are on a closed network) are off.

Why can't I see it?

I also have notice that from the only option for creating a PXI project on my development computer in LabVIEW is "Real-Time PXI". I am always unclear what NI means by Real-Time as they use it interchangably for Windows based as well as proper RT targets like cRIO. So I assume any target will do?!

I have never used a PXI chassis before and am having difficulty finding my feet with this problem.

Anybody able to help?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,882 Views)

Hi,

I don't know how to see a Windows controller from a separate dev PC, but are you willing to install LabVIEW in the PXI-8119 and do your development directly on it? I use Remote Desktop to develop on my PXI, so it still feels like I'm using my dev desktop. I find it much simpler this way, and I'd imagine that the controller is more powerful than an old Win XP machine.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,840 Views)

Not really feasible. We have too many chassis to work with and the development computer does other things besides just PXI programming. And we want to keep development in one place where we have network access to configuration control, etc.

The lack of replies to this question suggests this si not how I am supposed to be using the PXI chassis. Is there any articles on this I could try out?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,795 Views)

@skol45uk wrote:

I also have notice that from the only option for creating a PXI project on my development computer in LabVIEW is "Real-Time PXI". I am always unclear what NI means by Real-Time as they use it interchangably for Windows based as well as proper RT targets like cRIO. So I assume any target will do?!

A "Real-Time" target runs a real-time operating system like VxWorks. Windows is not a real-time operating system. To write LabVIEW software for a targets running Windows (whether the target is a desktop PC or a PXI controller), put your VIs under the "My Computer" in LabVIEW.

@skol45uk wrote:

The lack of replies to this question suggests this si not how I am supposed to be using the PXI chassis. Is there any articles on this I could try out? 

There are 3 ways to control a PXI chassis, depending on what you put in Slot 1 of the PXI chassis:

1. Put one end of an MXI-Express kit into Slot 1, and the other end of the kit into your desktop PC. See http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202056
  2. Put an embedded controller into Slot 1, which runs a Real-Time operating system (RTOS). See http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/11154
  3. (This is the setup you have) Put an embedded controller into Slot 1, which runs a Windows operating system. See http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/10485

#1 makes the PXI chassis a part of your PC (just like a graphics card or a network card). Your PC needs to be running in order for the PXI chassis to do anything useful. In MAX, your PC sees the PXI modules as local devices.

#2 and #3 make the PXI chassis an independent machine. The PXI controller can run software by itself, so your PC does not need to be running.

NI created special software for RTOS, which lets an RTOS PXI controller present itself to your dev PC's MAX over your network as a "Remote System". However, a Windows PXI controller cannot run this special software. Therefore, your dev PC can see #2 in MAX (as a Remote device), but it cannot see #3.

I suggest you give NI Support a call and ask for their advice on how to work with many different Windows-based PXI systems. The only way I can think of is: (i) Write your software on your dev PC, (ii) Compile it into an executable, then (iii) Transfer the executable to the PXI controller for testing.

@skol45uk wrote:

NI-Support advised me that I should update the DAQmx and VISA drivers.

There's been some misunderstanding/miscommunication. If you install DAQmx and VISA on the PXI controller, you can open MAX in the PXI controller and see your individual I/O modules. However, this has no effect on your dev PC.

When you talk to NI Support, make sure they understand these two points:

1. Your PXI chassis contains an embedded controller that runs Windows 7.
  2. You want to develop on a desktop PC, not on the PXI controller.
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,767 Views)