PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PXI-8156B as a standalone computer

Has anyone tried using a PXI controller as a standalone computer (i.e. no chassis)?  I have a couple PXI-8156B controllers which were replaced with MXI-4 collecting dust on a shelf.  I'm wondering if it's possible to hook up power to the back somehow and use them as some sort of embedded computer to make use of their GPIB and serial capabilites.  I can't seem to find any documentation on the connector pinouts on the back of the controller, or if they will even run without the chassis/PXI backplane being present.  They are neat little controllers; it'd be a fun project to get them to run something.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide,

Matt
maat
LV2019
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,920 Views)

Hi maat,

That's a really interesting idea, but unfortinately, it's not something recommended by National Instruments, which might explain the lack of documentation along these lines.  For more information regarding the pinouts/connections on the PXI controller, you may be able to get more information on the PXI Systems Alliance website: http://www.pxisa.org/specs.htm, under the hardware specifications.  Hope this helps!

Regards,
Anna M.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,906 Views)